|Centuries:||16th century – 17th century – 18th century|
|Decades:||1640s 1650s 1660s – 1670s – 1680s 1690s 1700s|
|Years:||1676 1677 1678 – 1679 – 1680 1681 1682|
- January 24 – King Charles II of England disbands Parliament
- June 22 – the Duke of Monmouth subdues an insurrection of Scottish Covenanters at Birthwell Bridge
- August 7 – The brigantine Le Griffon, which was commissioned by René Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle, is towed to the southern end of the Niagara River, to become the first ship to sail the upper Great Lakes.
- December 24 – Domenico Sarro, a composer from Italy, was born.
- Battle of Bothwell Bridge
- Habeas Corpus Act 1679 passed in England.
- European explorers discover Niagara Falls.