1908 United States presidential election
The 1908 United States presidential election was the 31st election in the history of the United States. It occurred on November 3, 1908. This election was between Secretary of War William Howard Taft of Ohio and former Congressman from Ohio and Democratic Party Nominee in 1896 and 1900 William Jennings Bryan. Taft won the election with 321 electoral votes, while Bryan got only 162 electoral votes.
483 members of the Electoral College
242 electoral votes needed to win
|Turnout||65.7% 0.2 pp|
Presidential election results map. Red denotes states won by Taft/Sherman, blue denotes those won by Bryan/Kern. Numbers indicate the number of electoral votes allotted to each state.
Republican Party: Edit
- William Howard Taft, Secretary of War (1904-1908) (Nominee)
- Philander C. Knox, Senator of Wisconsin (1904-1909; 1917-1921)
- Charles Evans Hughes, Governor of New York (1907-1910)
- Joseph G. Cannon, Speaker of the United States House of Representatives (1903-1911)
- Charles W. Fairbanks, 26th Vice-President of the United States from Indiana (1905-1909)
- Robert M. La Follette, Senator from Wisconsin (1906-1924)
- Joseph B. Foraker, Senator of Ohio (1897-1909)
- L. M. Shaw, former Secretary of the Treasury (1902-1907)
- George B. Cortelyou, Secretary of the Treasury (1907-1909)
Democratic Party: Edit
- "National General Election VEP Turnout Rates, 1789-Present". United States Election Project. CQ Press.