(Redirected from AD 1768)
1768 was a common year.
|Centuries:||17th century – 18th century – 19th century|
|Decades:||1730s 1740s 1750s – 1760s – 1770s 1780s 1790s|
|Years:||1765 1766 1767 – 1768 – 1769 1770 1771|
- January 9 – Philip Astley stages the first modern circus (London)
- May 10 – John Wilkes is imprisoned for writing an article for the North Briton severely criticizing King George III. This action provokes rioting in London
- Secretary of State for colonies appointed in Britain
- Massachusetts Assembly dissolved for refusing to assist collection of taxes.
- Boston citizens refuse to quarter British troops
- France buys Corsica from Genoa
- Gurkhas conquer Nepal
- First of the weekly numbers of the Encyclopædia Britannica are published; 100 are planned
- James Cook's first voyage: 1768-1771