Alessandro Manzoni (Milan 7 March 1785 – Milan 22 May 1873) was an Italian writer and poet. His most famous book is The Betrothed, a novel that is a symbol of the Risorgimento, both for its patriotic message and because it was a fundamental milestone in the development of the modern Italian language.
- Inni sacri (Sacred Hymnes, 1815)
- Osservazioni sulla morale cattolica (Observations about catholic moral, 1819)
- Il conte di Carmagnola (1819)
- Il cinque maggio (The fifth of May, 1821)
- Adelchi (1822)
- I promessi sposi (The Betrothed, 1827)
- La colonna infame (Infamous column, 1842)