Andreas Kaplan (born October 5, 1977), Professor of Marketing, is the Dean of ESCP Business School in Berlin and Paris. He is specialized in the areas of social media, viral marketing, and the digital world in general.
Andreas M. Kaplan
|Born||5 October 1977|
|Institution||ESCP Business School|
|Field||Marketing; Communication; Higher education|
|Alma mater||ESCP; ENA; Sorbonne;|
Kaplan holds a Master of Public Administration from the École Nationale d'Administration, an MSc from ESCP Business School, and a BSc from the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich. He completed his Habilitation at the Sorbonne and his Ph.D. at the University of Cologne and HEC Paris.
Kaplan is an executive education advisory board member at Kozminski University.
Kaplan’s research mainly deals with analyzing and decrypting the digital sphere. With approximately 30 000 citations on Google Scholar, Professor Kaplan was counted amongst the Top 50 Business and Management authors in the world according to John Wiley & Sons. In 2020, Andreas Kaplan ranked in Stanford study of the world's top 2% of scientists.
In particular his 2010 article "Users of the world, unite! The challenges and opportunities of social media" published in Business Horizons is widely cited and known in the field. This seminal article recurrently achieved first place in Science Direct's annual list of the 25 most downloaded publications across all 24 core subject areas covered in Science Direct and thus was downloaded more often than any other of the approximately 13.4 million papers in the collection.
- Kaplan, Andreas (2021). Higher Education at the Crossroads of Disruption: The University of the 21st Century, Great Debates in Higher Education. United Kingdom: Emerald Publishing.
- Kaplan, Andreas; Haenlein, Michael (2020), "Rulers of the world, unite! The challenges and opportunities of artificial intelligence", Business Horizons, 63: 37–50, doi:10.1016/j.bushor.2019.09.003, S2CID 211456730
- Kaplan, A. and M. Haenlein (2019) Siri, Siri in my Hand, who is the Fairest in the Land? On the Interpretations, Illustrations and Implications of Artificial Intelligence, Business Horizons, 62(1).
- Kaplan Andreas (2018) “A School is a Building that Has 4 Walls - with Tomorrow Inside”: Toward the Reinvention of the Business School, Business Horizons.
- Kaplan Andreas M., Haenlein Michael (2016) Higher education and the digital revolution: About MOOCs, SPOCs, social media, and the Cookie Monster, Business Horizons, Volume 59.
- Pucciarelli F., Kaplan Andreas M. (2016) Competition and Strategy in Higher Education: Managing Complexity and Uncertainty, Business Horizons, Volume 59(3), 311-320.
- Kaplan, Andreas; Haenlein, Michael (September–October 2014), "Collaborative projects (social media application): About Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia", Business Horizons, 57 (5): 617–626, doi:10.1016/j.bushor.2014.05.004
- Kaplan Andreas M. (2014) European Management and European Business Schools: Insights from the History of Business Schools, European Management Journal, 32(4), 529-534.
- Kaplan Andreas M. (2012) If you love something, let it go mobile: Mobile marketing and mobile social media 4x4, Business Horizons, 55(2), 129–139
- Kaplan Andreas M., Haenlein Michael (2012) The Britney Spears universe: Social media and viral marketing at its best, Business Horizons, 55(1), 27–31
- "Andreas Kaplan Biography". ESCP Europe.
- "How Has Social Media Changed Us". The Nation. Archived from the original on 2014-09-21. Retrieved 2017-04-01 – via HighBeam Research.
- "Marquis Who's Who in the World".
- "Marquis Who's Who in the World".
- "Andreas Kaplan, Professionals Need to Keep Their Skills Fresh. Will They Turn to Higher Ed? 5 Ways Universities Can Stay Relevant for Lifelong Learners, Harvard Business Publishing, Sept. 17th".
- "Mobile Social Media: Professor Andreas Kaplan receives Best Article Award 2012 from Business Horizons". Archived from the original on 2017-10-18. Retrieved 2017-04-01.
- Ioannidis, John P. A.; Baas, Jeroen; Klavans, Richard; Boyack, Kevin W. (2019). "A standardized citation metrics author database annotated for scientific field". Study. PLOS Biology. 17 (8): e3000384. doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.3000384. PMC 6699798. PMID 31404057.
- "Andreas Kaplan ranked in Stanford study of the world's top 2% of scientists". Press release. ESCP. November 10, 2020. Retrieved 2020-11-13.
- ""Users of the world, unite!" most downloaded paper of approximately 13.4 million articles - Top 50 Business & Management Authors in the World Kaplan and Haenlein again Ranked First in Science Direct Hottest Article List". Archived from the original on 2017-10-18. Retrieved 2017-04-01.