Throughout the Animal Crossing series, the player character is a human who lives in a village where many anthropomorphic animals live, carrying out various activities such as fishing, bug catching, and fossil hunting. The series is known for its open-ended gameplay and use of the video game console's internal clock and calendar to show real passage of time.
- Knezevic, Kevin (April 6, 2020). "How Animal Crossing Was Born From One Of Nintendo's Biggest Flops". GameSpot. Retrieved May 14, 2020.
- "Learn more about the development of the Animal Crossing series in our interview!". Nintendo. November 25, 2016. Retrieved May 14, 2020.
- Andrew H (March 27, 2014). "While Animal Crossing may never see a mobile game, there could be companion apps on the way". DroidGamers. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
- Stephen Totilo (June 8, 2013). "No Retro Games in Future Animal Crossings—With One Possible Exception". Kotaku. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
- Brett Elston (July 15, 2008). "E3 08: Nintendo Press Conference". GamesRadar+. Retrieved February 24, 2016.