Autobahn is a German loanword for controlled-access highways. An autobahn is for fast travel by road vehicles.
The word Autobahn contains Auto, 'car', and Bahn, 'way/road'.
In English, autobahn means a highway especially in a German-speaking country. This means Germany and Austria, and usually also Switzerland. In German, however, Autobahn means a highway anywhere in the world.
- Bundesautobahn in Austria
- Bundesautobahn in Germany
- Autobahn in Switzerland
- ↑ "Autobahn Definition & Meaning". Dictionary.org. Retrieved December 8, 2022.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "The German autobahn". I am expat. March 2020. Retrieved December 8, 2022.
- Autobahn-Bilder.de (in German) – pictures of highways (not limited to autobahns)