A battle is a fight between two or more groups where each group is trying to defeat (beat) the others. Battles are most often fought during wars, military campaigns, or two or more people fighting. If two armies fight many battles over period of time it is called a war. The ground on which a battle is fought is called a battlefield.
Battles can very important, for example the 1389 Battle of Kosovo, which was a draw in military terms, changed the history of the Balkans, Europe, and the entire world. The outcome changed Ottoman politics and had influence in the region for well over 500 years.
- Battle of Hastings — 1066
- Battle of Kosovo — 1389
- Battle of Waterloo — 1815
- Battle of Gettysburg — 1863
- Battle of Verdun — 1916
- Battle of the Bulge — 1944
- Department of Defense Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms, ed. Barry Leonard (Department of Defense; Joint Publication 1-02), p. 52