Berkeley is a city in the U.S. State of California. It is a suburb of San Francisco. It is famous for the college, University of California, Berkeley, where many political protests were held in the 1960s. It is also famous for its gourmet food and art scenes. Also, it is the native city of the punk band Green Day. BOINC or the Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing was created at the University of California in Berkeley.
|City of Berkeley|
Downtown Berkeley viewed from the Berkeley Hills, with San Francisco in the background
Location of Berkeley in Alameda County, California.
|Incorporated||April 4, 1878 |
|Chartered||March 5, 1895 |
|• Mayor||Jesse Arreguín|
| • Council members|
by district number
|• State senator||Nancy Skinner (D)|
|• Assemblymember||Tony Thurmond (D)|
|• U.S. rep.||Barbara Lee (D)|
|• Total||17.69 sq mi (45.82 km2)|
|• Land||10.47 sq mi (27.11 km2)|
|• Water||7.23 sq mi (18.72 km2) 40.83%|
|Elevation||171 ft (52 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||11,584.18/sq mi (4,472.80/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−8 (Pacific)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−7 (PDT)|
94701–94710, 94712, 94720
|GNIS feature IDs||1658037, 2409837|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Berkeley, California.|
- "Structure of Berkeley Government". City Clerk. City of Berkeley. Archived from the original on June 23, 2016. Retrieved June 13, 2016.
- "California Cities by Incorporation Date". California Association of Local Agency Formation Commissions. Archived from the original (Word) on November 3, 2014. Retrieved March 27, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Elected Officials Home". City of Berkeley. Retrieved December 8, 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Senators". State of California. Retrieved March 18, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Members Assembly". State of California. Retrieved March 18, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "California's 13th Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved March 9, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 19, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Berkeley". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved February 8, 2015.
- "Using 2015 American Community Survey 1-Year Estimates for population estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved March 13, 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "ZIP Code(tm) Lookup". United States Postal Service. Retrieved November 24, 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)