Brown University is an American private research university in Providence, Rhode Island, United States and is a member of the Ivy League. It was founded in 1764 as the College in the English Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, early in the reign of King George III (1760–1820) and before American independence from the British Empire. It was founded by the Brown brothers, who were slave traders. Brown is the third oldest institution of higher education in New England and seventh oldest in the United States.
|Latin: Universitas Brunensis|
|Motto||In Deo Speramus (Latin)|
Motto in English
|In God We Hope|
|Endowment||US $3.5 billion (2017)|
|Provost||Richard M. Locke|
|Students||9,380 (Fall 2017)|
|Undergraduates||6,580 (Fall 2017)|
|Postgraduates||2,255 (Fall 2017)|
143 acres (579,000 m²)
|Colors||Brown, White, and, Cardinal|
|NCAA Division I – Ivy League|
ECAC Hockey, EARC/EAWRC
|Mascot||Bruno the Bear|
Brown is ranked as the 14th national university behind Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Stanford, University of Chicago, Duke, MIT, University of Pennsylvania, Caltech, Dartmouth, Johns Hopkins, and Northwestern. Brown was the first college in the country to accept students of any religion.
It is the second last ranked Ivy League University with Cornell being the last.
- "Brown University Admission Facts and Figures". Brown University. Retrieved 8 October 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- As of 3 October 2017. "news.brown.edu/articles/2017/10/endowment". Brown.edu. 2017.
- Nickel, Mark. "Locke named 13th provost of Brown University". News from Brown. Brown University. Retrieved 14 September 2015.
Richard M. Locke ... has been appointed provost of the University ... [starting] 1 July 2015CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Faculty and Employees".
- "Facts about Brown University". Brown University. November 2015. Retrieved 5 February 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Brown Visual Identity Policy
- "John Brown (1736-1803) Papers". Rhode Island Historical Society Manuscripts Division. 1995. Retrieved 28 January 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "John Brown". Gaspee Virtual Archives. April 2013 [originally posted 2003]. Retrieved 28 January 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- The Charter of Brown University (PDF), Providence, RI: Brown University, 1945, retrieved 27 January 2015 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Report of the Brown University Steering Committee on Slavery and Justice" (PDF). Brown University. October 2006. Retrieved 28 January 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Encyclopedia Brunoniana | Bicentennial celebration". Brown University. Retrieved 9 July 2009. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Get to Know Us: Our History". Brown University Admission Office.