California State University, Long Beach
California State University, Long Beach (also known as Cal State Long Beach, Long Beach State, CSULB, LBSU, or The Beach) is the second largest campus of the California State University (CSU) system and the third largest university in the state of California by enrollment. The University is located at the southeastern coastal tip of Los Angeles County.
|Motto||Vox Veritas Vita (Latin)|
Motto in English
|"Speak the truth as a way of life."|
|Endowment||$46.3 million |
|President||F. King Alexander|
|1,858 (967 full-time)|
|Students||36,279 (Fall 2012)|
|Undergraduates||30,931 (Fall 2012)|
|Postgraduates||5,148 (Fall 2012)|
|Campus||Urban, 323 acres (131 ha)|
|Colors||Gold and Black|
|Athletics||18 varsity teams,|
NCAA Division I
|Nickname||49ers, Dirtbags, The Beach|
|Affiliations||California State University system; Big West Conference,|
Mountain Pacific Sports Federation, AASCU, ASAIHL
CSULB has been recognized repeatedly as one of "America's Best Value Colleges" by the Princeton Review. More than 30 factors are considered to rate the colleges in four categories: academics, tuition GPA (the sticker price minus average amount students receive in gift aid scholarships and grants), financial aid (how well colleges meet students' financial need) and student borrowing.
Long Beach State has also been ranked as one of the top five public master's degree-granting institutions in the West by U.S. News & World Report's "America's Best Colleges Guide". It is also home to the largest publicly funded art school west of the Mississippi. The university currently operates with one of the lowest student fees in the country at US $4,370 per year for full-time students having California residence.
Since the 2020–21 school year, Long Beach State has called its sports teams The Beach; the baseball team is also known as the Dirtbags. Before July 2020, the main nickname had been 49ers. Most Beach teams play in the Big West Conference.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-09-15. Retrieved 2012-11-26.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "University Facts Fall 2010" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-11-15. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "Institutional Research and Assessment". web-apps.csulb.edu. Archived from the original on 2020-08-06. Retrieved 2019-02-14.
- "CSU - AS - Term Enrollment Summary - Fall 2009". www.calstate.edu.
- "Google Maps". Google Maps.
- The Beach Review, Spring 2006: Princeton Review Ranks Cal State Long Beach No. 3 Best Value Public College in the United States Archived 2011-06-06 at the Wayback Machine. Public Affairs and Publications. Retrieved August 10, 2007
- "U.S. News & World Report: September 3, 2008". Archived from the original on August 24, 2008. Retrieved December 20, 2010.
- Fees and Finances - Basics Archived 2014-02-15 at the Wayback Machine. Division of Administration & Finance. Retrieved July 8, 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to California State University, Long Beach.|