Charlotte Hornets (NBA)
The Charlotte Hornets are a team in the National Basketball Association (NBA) in Charlotte, North Carolina. They play their home games at the Time Warner Cable Arena. Most of the team is owned by Michael Jordan, who was a star player for the Chicago Bulls in the 1980s and 1990s. The team started playing in 2004 as the Charlotte Bobcats, and was the second NBA team to play in Charlotte (the New Orleans Pelicans had played in Charlotte as the Hornets from 1988 to 2002). In 2010, the Bobcats made the playoffs for the first time.
|Location||Charlotte, North Carolina|
|Team colors||Teal, dark purple, gray|
|General manager||Mitch Kupchak|
|Head coach||James Borrego|
|Retired numbers||1 (13)|
After the New Orleans Hornets renamed themselves the Pelicans in 2013, they gave the "Hornets" name back to the NBA. The Bobcats soon announced they would rename themselves the Hornets beginning with the 2014–15 NBA season, and the name change became official on May 20, 2014.
At the time of the change to "Hornets", the team also said that it had reached a deal with the NBA and the Pelicans to split the Pelicans' history and records between the two teams:
- Records from the first Charlotte Hornets while in that city (1988 to 2002) belong to the current Hornets.
- Records from the first Hornets' move to New Orleans in 2002 until that team's name change to Pelicans in 2013 belong to the Pelicans.
- "Charlotte Hornets Name Returns to Carolinas". Hornets.com. NBA Media Ventures, LLC. May 20, 2014. Archived from the original on May 22, 2014. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "NBA.com/Stats–Charlotte Hornets seasons". Stats.NBA.com. NBA Media Ventures, LLC. Retrieved March 19, 2016.
- "History: Team by Team" (PDF). 2018-19 Official NBA Guide. NBA Properties, Inc. October 8, 2018. Retrieved June 1, 2019.
- "Purple and Teal Color Palette to Re-Join Hornets Name in Charlotte". Hornets.com. NBA Media Ventures, LLC. November 24, 2013. Retrieved January 17, 2018.
- NBA Media Ventures, LLC (January 31, 2018). "NBA Unveils Logo For 2019 All-Star Weekend In Charlotte". Press release. https://www.nba.com/hornets/press-releases/nba-unveils-logo-2019-all-star-weekend-charlotte. Retrieved February 18, 2019. "The NBA today unveiled the logo for NBA All-Star 2019, which will take place February 15-17, 2019, in Charlotte. The logo pays tribute to the Hornets and the city of Charlotte by featuring the team’s iconic teal and purple colors, along with three icons – a crown, basketball and star – to symbolize the Queen City and the NBA’s annual celebration of the game."
- "Charlotte Hornets Reproduction Guideline Sheet". NBA Properties, Inc. Retrieved December 22, 2017.
- NBA Media Ventures, LLC (November 13, 2017). "Hornets, LendingTree Announce New Multi-Year Founding Level Partnership Highlighted By Jersey Patch". Press release. http://www.nba.com/hornets/press-releases/hornets-lendingtree-announce-new-multi-year-founding-level-partnership-highlighted. Retrieved December 17, 2017.
- "Michael Jordan Owner Press Conference". hoopeduponline.com. Hooped Up. Retrieved April 21, 2010.
- Charlotte Hornets (May 20, 2014). "Charlotte Hornets Name Returns to Carolinas". Press release. http://www.nba.com/hornets/charlotte-hornets-name-returns-carolinas. Retrieved May 20, 2014.