Christopher Jonathan James Nolan (born 30 July 1970) is a British-American director, producer and screenwriter. He often works with his brother, author Jonathan Nolan. Nolan rose to prominence for directing the psychological thriller Memento, and for reviving the Batman movie franchise as the director of The Dark Knight Trilogy. Each of them are Batman Begins (2005), The Dark Knight (2008), and The Dark Knight Rises (2012). He is also the founder of the production company, Syncopy Films through which his movies Inception (2010), Interstellar (2014) and Dunkirk (2017) were released.
Christopher Jonathan James Nolan
30 July 1970
|Other names||Chris Nolan|
|Education||B.A. in Eng. Lit.|
|Alma mater||Haileybury and Imperial Service College, |
University College London
|Occupation||Movie director, movie producer, screenwriter|
|Style||Neo-noir, nonlinear, psychological|
|Board member of||Syncopy Films|
|Relatives||Jonathan Nolan (brother), Matthew Francis (brother),|
Brendan Nolan (father),
Christina Nolan (mother),
John Nolan (uncle),
Miranda Nolan (cousin)
|Awards||Saturn Award for Best Writing|
2005 Batman Begins
BSFC Award for Best Screenplay
Critics Choice Award for Best Screenplay
CFCA Award for Best Screenplay
Empire Award for Best Director
2006 The Prestige
FFCC Award for Best Screenplay
Independent Spirit Award for Best Director
Independent Spirit Award for Best Screenplay
LAFCA Award for Best Screenplay
OFCS Award for Best Adapted Screenplay
The Dark KnightEdit
In the months following the release of The Prestige (another of Nolan's movies, released in 2006), Nolan made many comments suggesting that he would return to direct the sequel to Batman Begins. In late July 2006, the sequel was officially confirmed as The Dark Knight with Nolan at the helm and Heath Ledger joining the cast as The Joker, Batman's nemesis. Nolan and his brother Jonathan wrote a script, based on a treatment written by himself and David S. Goyer. The movie began production in early 2007. It was released on July 18 2008 in the United States, to overwhelming critical acclaim. It has also made a lot of money, setting the record for the highest-grossing weekend opening in the U.S. with over $158 million.
Nolan has frequently cast the following;
|The Dark Knight
|The Dark Knight Rises
|Mark Boone Junior|
Major motion picturesEdit
- Following (1998) (also writer/producer)
- Memento (2000) (also writer)
- Insomnia (2002)
- Batman Begins (2005) (director/also writer/producer)
- The Prestige (2006) (also co-writer/producer)
- The Dark Knight (2008) (director/also co-writer/producer)
- Inception (2009) (director)
- The Dark Knight Rises (2012) (director/co-writer/producer)
- Man of Steel (2013) (producer/writer)
- Transcendence (2014) (producer)
- Interstellar (2014) (director/co-writer/producer)
- Dunkirk (2017) (director/writer/producer)
- Tenet (2020) (director/co-writer/producer)
- Tarantella (1989) (Also writer/producer)
- Larceny (1996) (Also writer/producer)
- Doodlebug (1997) (Also writer/producer)
- Haddon, Cole. (2010-07-12). "Interview: Christopher Nolan Talks 'Inception'". Film.com. Retrieved January 15, 2011.
- "Chris Nolan Receives Rare Hollywood Honor". deadline.com. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- "Nolan Talks Next". IGN FilmForce. 12 October 2005. Archived from the original on 2006-09-19. Retrieved 2007-03-09.
- Garth Franklin (31 July 2006). "It's Official: "Batman 2" Gets A Title". DarkHorizons.com. Retrieved 2007-03-09.
- "The Dark Knight Business Page on IMDb". Archived from the original on 2008-02-24. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Christopher Nolan.|
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Christopher Nolan|