Arthur Christopher Orme Plummer CC (December 13, 1929 – February 5, 2021) was a Canadian stage, voice, television and movie actor. He won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in Beginners. After replacing Kevin Spacey and starring in All the Money in the World, Plummer was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor.
Plummer at the 2014 Miami International Film Festival
Arthur Christopher Orme Plummer
December 13, 1929
|Died||February 5, 2021 (aged 91)|
Weston, Connecticut, U.S.
|Alma mater||McGill University|
|Relatives||John Abbott |
F. B. Fetherstonhaugh
Plummer was born in Toronto. His parents were Isabella Mary (née Abbott) and John Orme Plummer. Plummer's great grandfather is Canadian prime minister John Abbott. He was the grandson of John Bethune. Plummer studied at the Canadian Repertory Theatre.
Plummer played Captain von Trapp in The Sound of Music, Mike Wallace in The Insider, Charles Muntz in Up, 1 in 9, Leo Tolstoy in The Last Station, Doctor Parnassus in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus and Henrik Vanger in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
Plummer won many awards for his roles. They included an Academy Award, two Emmy Awards, two Tony Awards, a Golden Globe Award, a Drama Desk Award, a SAG Award, and a BAFTA Award. With his win of an Academy Award for his role as Hal in Beginners, Plummer was the oldest actor to win an Academy Award. Plummer was both the oldest actor to win an Oscar, aged 82, and to be nominated, aged 88.
Plummer married Tammy Grimes from 1956 to 1960. They had a daughter, Amanda. Plummer married to Patricia Lewis from 1962 to 1967. He married Elaine Taylor in 1970.
- Christopher Plummer Best Supporting Actors Beginners winner award at Telegraph.co.uk
- Christopher Plummer becomes oldest acting Oscar winner at CBS News.com
- Witchel, Alex (19 November 2008). "Christopher Plummer's legendary life, wonderfully retold". The New York Times. NYTimes.com. Retrieved 2012-07-25. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Christopher Plummer overview". MSN.com. Retrieved October 5, 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Awards for Christopher Plummer". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved July 25, 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Christopher Plummer Becomes Oldest Actor to Be Nominated for an Oscar". Variety. January 23, 2018.
- Fleming, Mike Jr. (February 5, 2021). "Christopher Plummer Passes Away At 91; 'Sound Of Music,' 'All The Money In The World' Star A True Hollywood Legend". Deadline. Retrieved February 5, 2021.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Christopher Plummer.|