Felipe VI of Spain
King Felipe VI' (Spanish pronunciation: [feˈlipe], baptised as Felipe Juan Pablo Alfonso de Todos los Santos de Borbón y de Grecia; born 30 January 1968) is the current King of Spain. He is the eldest son, of former King Juan Carlos I and Queen Sofía of Spain, Feipe was born at Sanyres Loreto in Madrid, He was baptized at Palace of Zarzuela in Madrid.
King Felipe VI in 2019
|King of Spain |
|Reign||19 June 2014–present|
|Enthronement||19 June 2014|
|Predecessor||Juan Carlos I|
|Prime ministers||Mariano Rajoy|
|Born||30 January 1968|
Sanyres Loreto, Madrid, Francoist Spain
Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano (m. 2004)
|Father||Juan Carlos I of Spain|
|Mother||Sofía of Greece and Denmark|
|Service/branch|| Spanish Army|
Spanish Air Force
|Years of service||1986–2014 |
(end of active service)
|Rank||Captain General (See list)|
On 2 June 2014, King Juan Carlos I announced that he would abdicate in favour of Felipe. Felipe became king on 19 June 2014 at 0:00 CET and was named Felipe VI.
Titles and stylesEdit
- 30 January 1968 – 22 January 1977: His Royal Highness The Infante Felipe of Spain
- 22 January 1977 – 18 June 2014: His Royal Highness The Prince of Asturias
- in former Crown of Aragon territories: 22 January 1977 – 19 June 2014: His Royal Highness The Prince of Girona
- in former Kingdom of Navarre territories: 22 January 1977 – 19 June 2014: His Royal Highness The Prince of Viana
- 19 June 2014 – present: His Majesty The King
- "His Majesty the King Juan Carlos". The Royal Household of His Majesty the King. Archived from the original on 18 February 2011.
- "Spanish politicians lay out abdication timetable". BBC News. 2014-06-03.
- The English-language version of the Official Royal Family website is rendered as "Borbon", while in Spanish it is rendered as "Borbón". In English, the house is traditionally called House of Bourbon.