A fraction is a number that shows how many equal parts there are. When we write fractions, we show one number with a line above another number, for example, or 1⁄4 or 1/4. The top number tells us how many parts there are, the second number tells us the total number of parts.
The top part of the fraction is called a numerator. The bottom part of the fraction is called a denominator. For example, : The 1 is the numerator here, and the 4 is the denominator.
- A room where of the people are girls, has 1 girl for every 4 people.
- Think of a cake made of 4 equal parts. Each is 1 part of 4. In maths, you write this as , and it is called a "quarter". 2 parts of the cake (i.e. 2 quarters) is written , and this is also known as 1/2, half.
A fraction is a mathematical expression relating two quantities or numbers, one divided by the other. The numbers may be whole numbers (or integers) – this is a rational number. For example, is a fraction. They can also be polynomials – this is a rational function.
Mathematically, a fraction is a quotient of numbers, representing the number's value when the numerator is divided by the denominator (lower number). Thus means one divided by two, or, in decimals, 0.5.
To find of , the denominators are multiplied. That means: denominator 2 multiplied by 2 equals 4 or: x = or: 0.5 x 0.5 = 0.25.
(In this case “ of” means mathematically "multiplication".)
To find divided by , multiply by the reciprocal of , which is 2. That answer is 1.
The numerator is multiplied by the other numerator. The denominator is multiplied by the other denominator. E.g. 2⁄4 x 3⁄4 = 6⁄16 you can simplify this by dividing both the numbers by a common factor.This would be 3⁄8
- Curricula for Creating Fractions
- Curricula for Teaching about Fractions
- Teaching Fractions: New Methods, New Resources
- Interactive and dynamic worksheets to visualize fractions
- Worksheets: Identifying Fractions
- Worksheets: Improper Fractions to Mixed Numbers
- Curricula for Teaching about Equivalent Fractions
- Free online quizzes about Fractions
- Endless Examples & Exercises for fractions
- Printable fraction worksheets for elementary grades.