H. R. Haldeman
Harry Robbins "Bob" Haldeman (better known as H. R. Haldeman; October 27, 1926 – November 12, 1993) was an American political aide and businessman. He served as White House Chief of Staff to President Richard Nixon. He was involved in the Watergate scandal.
H. R. Haldeman
|4th White House Chief of Staff|
January 20, 1969 – April 30, 1973
|Preceded by||Wilton Persons|
as 3rd White House Chief of Staff
James Robert Jones
as Appointments Secretary
|Succeeded by||Alexander Haig|
Harry Robbins Haldeman
October 27, 1926
Los Angeles, California,
|Died||November 12, 1993 (aged 67)|
Santa Barbara, California,
|Alma mater||University of California, Los Angeles|
His role in the Watergate cover-up precipitated his resignation from government. Haldeman was tried on counts of perjury, conspiracy and obstruction of justice. Haldeman was found guilty and imprisoned for 18 months. Upon his release he returned to private life and was a successful businessman until his death from cancer in 1993.
- Severo, Richard (November 13, 1993). "H. R. Haldeman, Nixon Aide Who Had Central Role in Watergate, Is Dead at 67". New York Times. Retrieved May 4, 2010.
H. R. Haldeman, who spent 18 months in prison for his involvement in the Watergate scandal but said he believed his role as President Richard M. Nixon's chief of staff was the "mountaintop experience" of his life, died yesterday at his home in Santa Barbara, Calif. He was 67. A son, Hank, said that the cause was an abdominal tumor and that his father had been ill for a month.
- Washington Post profile of Haldeman
- Washington Post Haldeman Obituary[permanent dead link]
- Ford Library & Museum:The Watergate Files
- Ron Schuler's Parlour Tricks: H.R. Haldeman
- Watergate trial of H.R. Haldeman, courtroom sketches.
- Spartacus Educational Biography Archived 2008-10-31 at the Wayback Machine
- The Testimony of John Ehrlichman & H. R. Haldeman Archived 2013-07-07 at Archive.today at Smithsonian Folkways
James R. Jones
as White House Appointments Secretary
| White House Chief of Staff