fear, hatred of, or prejudice against the religion of Islam or Muslims in general
Islamophobia is the dislike, fear, pre-judgment, hostility or hate against Muslims (people following the religion Islam) or the religion itself.
Sometimes people use it to attack the ideological positions taken by Muslims, but more often than not they state the religion itself as the actual problem.
Muslim women are more likely to experience islamophobia in their lifetime compared to Muslim men, especially if they are wearing some kind of face veil.
Examples of islamophobia in the worldEdit
During the Bosnian War in the 1990s, Serbian Orthodox Christians committed a genocide against Bosniak Muslims, with a strong motive of islamophobia.
In France, since 2013, it is illegal for Muslim women to wear veils (burqas and niqabs) that cover their faces publicly.
- Racism - the idea that one race is better than most or all of the others
- Antisemitism - the hatred of Jews
- ↑ "Dictionary — Islamophobia".
- ↑ "Oxford Dictionary — Islamophobia". Archived from the original on 2019-05-19. Retrieved 2022-01-24.
- ↑ Siddique, Haroon (20 November 2013). "Muslim Women more likely to suffer Islamophobic attacks than men - study" – via www.theguardian.com.
- ↑ "ICTY — Summary" (PDF).
- ↑ Lentze, Georg (2 April 2013). "Islamic headscarf debate rekindled in France". BBC News.