Jiroemon Kimura (木村 次郎右衛門, 19 April 1897 – 12 June 2013) was a Japanese supercentenarian, who has been listed by the Guinness World Records as the oldest living person in the world since the death of Dina Manfredini on December 17, 2012. Kimura became the oldest man ever verified by the Guinness World Records after his lifespan became longer than that of Christian Mortensen on December 28, 2012. He was the last living man who was born before the 1900s, as well as the oldest and last verified person ever to have been born in the year 1897.
Miyake Kinjirō (三宅 金治郎)
19 April 1897
|Died||12 June 2013|
(aged 116 years, 54 days)
Kyōtango, Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
|Residence||Kyōtango, Kyoto Prefecture, Japan|
|Occupation||Retired postal worker, farmer|
|Spouse(s)||Yae Kimura (1904-1978) (m. ?–1978; her death)|
|Parent(s)||Morizo and Fusa Miyake|
Kimura was born as Kinjiro Miyake (三宅 金治郎 Miyake Kinjirō) in the fishing village of Kamiukawa. After he finished school at the age of 14, he worked for local post offices for over 45 years until he retired in 1962 at the age of 65. In the 1920's, he also worked as a government communications worker in Korea, which was at the time a colony of Japan.
After he returned from Korea, he married Yae Kimura and changed his name to Jiroemon Kimura, since his wife's family lacked a male heir. They were married until her death in 1978 and had seven children, five of which are still living. He lives in Kyōtango, Kyoto Prefecture, Japan with his eldest son's widow and grandson's widow.
Unknown birth dateEdit
According to a nephew of his, Jiroemon Kimura's date of birth was actually 19 March 1897, but was recorded in error as 19 April 1897 in 1955. Guinness World Records however recognise him according to his records as being born on 19 April 1897, aged 116. This is similar to the situation regarding Shigechiyo Izumi, who was originally thought to have died aged 120 years, 237 days old, until it was discovered he had been confused with his brother.
- 19 June 2009 – Tomoji Tanabe died. Kimura, aged 112 years, 61 days, became the oldest living man in Japan.
- 14 April 2011 – Walter Breuning died. Kimura, aged 113 years, 360 days, became the world's oldest living man.
- 11 September 2011 – Tanekichi Onishi died. Kimura, aged 114 years, 145 days, became the last Japanese man born in the 19th century.
- 26 October 2011 – Kimura, aged 114 years, 190 days, lived to be older than Yukichi Chuganji, becoming the oldest verified Japanese man ever.
- 2 December 2011 – Chiyono Hasegawa died. Kimura, aged 114 years, 227 days, became the oldest living Japanese and Asian person.
- 19 April 2012 – Kimura became the 3rd verified man to reach the age of 115.
- 4 December 2012 – Besse Cooper died. Kimura, aged 115 years, 229 days, became the second oldest person after Dina Manfredini.
- 17 December 2012 – Dina Manfredini died. Kimura, aged 115 years, 242 days, became the oldest living person in the world and first man to hold the title since Emiliano Mercado del Toro died on 24 January 2007.
- 28 December 2012 – Kimura, aged 115 years, 253 days, lived to be older than Christian Mortensen, becoming the oldest verified man ever.
- 2 January 2013 – Kimura, aged 115 years, 258 days, lived to be older than Dina Manfredini, becoming one of the 10 oldest verified people ever.
- 19 April 2013 – Kimura became the 9th verified person and first verified man to reach the age of 116.
- 23 May 2013 – James Sisnett (b. 22 February 1900) died. Kimura, aged 116 years, 34 days, became the last verified man born in the 19th century.
Kimura was hospitalized for pneumonia in May 2013 and slowly recovered, but his health began to decline over the weeks. Kimura died on June 12, 2013 in a hospital in Kyōtango, Kyoto Prefecture, Japan from natural causes. He was 116 years and 54 days old. Misao Okawa becomes the World's Oldest Living person.
- Matsuyama, Kanoko (27 December 2012). "Japanese 115-Year-Old Becomes Oldest Man in History". Bloomberg. Archived from the original on 28 December 2012. Retrieved 28 December 2012.
- "Validated Living Supercentenarians". Gerontology Research Group. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- "World's oldest man celebrates 114th birthday". The Daily Telegraph. London. 19 April 2011.
- Jiroemon Kimura: Oldest Man in the World at Kevindjakpor.com.uk
- Jiroemon Kimura, Oldest Man in Recorded History, Dies at Age 116 at Bloomberg.com
- World's oldest ever man dies aged 116 CNews.com
| Oldest recognized living person
December 17, 2012 – June 12, 2013
| Oldest living man
April 14, 2011 – June 12, 2013