John M Shifflett (March 22, 1953 – April 27, 2017) was an American Jazz musician, player of the Double bass and also an arranger, composer, and educator, with his last teaching job at San Jose State University.
John Shifflett playing Double Bass at the Cafe Stritch in San Jose, California
|Born||March 22, 1953|
|Died||April 27, 2017 (aged 64)|
San Jose, California
|Occupation(s)||Musician, arranger, educator|
|Instruments||Double bass, Bass guitar|
John Shifflett was born in in Dubuque, Iowa. He graduated in 1976 from Iowa State University. Later, while at the University of Iowa, John was it's big band and it's jazz combo bass player, appearing at festivals such as the Notre Dame Collegiate Jazz Festivals in April 1979 and in March 1980.
- "John Shifflett". San Jose State University. Retrieved 30 April 2017.
- Gilbert, Andrew (1 May 2017). "John Shifflett, popular San Jose jazz musician and teacher, dies at age 64". The Mercury News. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- "Iowa State Music Alumni". Iowa State University.
- "Notre Dame Collegiate Jazz Festival Program, 1979" (PDF). University of Notre Dame.
- "Notre Dame Collegiate Jazz Festival Program, 1980" (PDF). University of Notre Dame.