He served from 1961 until his retirement on January 3, 1985, after which time he was appointed as the chairman of the Reagan-appointed Tower Commission that investigated the Iran-Contra Affair. He was George Herbert Walker Bush's nominee for Secretary of Defense in 1989 but was rejected by the Senate, 53–47.
- Handbook of Texas article on John Tower
- Oral History Interviews with John Tower, from the Lyndon Baines Johnson Library
- "John Tower". Find a Grave. Retrieved 2008-02-08.
- Southwestern University and SMU's John G. Tower Digital Media Collection contains videos and audios by John Tower throughout his career.
- Booknotes interview with Roger Gittines on Consequences: John G. Tower, A Personal and Political Memoir, June 30, 1991.
- John G. Tower Papers – Official repository for John Tower's Senate and personal papers, Special Collections, Southwestern University.
- Speech by John Tower given on November 11, 1970. Audio recording. From the University of Alabama's Emphasis Symposium on Contemporary Issues.