John Woodland Hastings
John Woodland Hastings
|Died||August 6, 2014 (aged 87)|
|Alma mater||Swarthmore College, 1944-1947; B.A. 1947 (Navy V-12 medical officers training program) Johns Hopkins University, 1951-1953 Postdoctoral Fellow with W. D. McElroy|
|Known for||Founding circadian biology|
|Awards||NATO Senior Fellow in Science, Foundation Curie, Orsay, France, 1977|
|Fields||Bioluminescence, Circadian rhythms|
|Institutions||Instructor in Biological Sciences Northwestern University 1953-1957|
|Doctoral students||David Johnson States|
Hastings was born in Salisbury, Maryland. He lived in Seaford, Delaware during his early childhood. Hastings studied at Cathedral of Saint John the Divine. Hastings moved to Lenox School in Lenox, Massachusetts in 1941.
Hastings was a leader in the field of photobiology, especially bioluminescence. He was one of the founders of the field of circadian biology (the study of circadian rhythms, or the sleep-wake cycle). He was a professor at Harvard University. He has published over 400 papers and co-edited three books.
- "David J. States". Stateslab.org. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- "UT Health Science Center at Houston". www.uth.edu.
- Davis, Tinsley H. (2007-01-10). "Profile of J. Woodland Hastings". Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 104 (3): 693–5. doi:10.1073/pnas.0610519104. PMC 1783375. PMID 17215362.
- "2006 Farrell Prize recipient J. Woodland Hastings | Division of Sleep Medicine @ Harvard". Sleep.med.harvard.edu. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- "Faculty Profile: J. Woodland Hastings, PhD | Division of Sleep Medicine @ Harvard Medical School". Sleep.med.harvard.edu. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- "Hastings Lab: J. Woodland Hastings". Mcb.harvard.edu. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- "J. W. Hastings, 87, a pioneer in bioluminescence research, dies". New York Times.com. Retrieved 9 August 2014.
For more informationEdit
- McElroy, W.D.; Hastings, J.W.; Sonnenfeld, V.; Coulombre, J. (1953). "The requirement of riboflavin-phosphate for bacterial luminescence". Science 118: 385–386. doi:10.1126/science.118.3066.385.
- Hastings, J.W.; McElroy, W.D.; Coulombre, J. (1953). "The effect of oxygen upon the immobilization reaction in firefly luminescence". J. Cell and Comp. Physiol 42: 137–150. doi:10.1002/jcp.1030420109.
- Hastings, J.W. (1952b). "Oxygen concentration and bioluminescence intensity II: Cypridina hilgendorfii". J. Cell. and Comp. Physiol 40: 1–9. doi:10.1002/jcp.1030400102.
- Hastings, J.W. (1952a). "Oxygen concentration and bioluminescence intensity. I: Bacteria and fungi". J. Cell and Comp. Physiol 39: 1–30. doi:10.1002/jcp.1030390102.