Keelung (pinyin: Jīlóng; Hokkien POJ: Ke-lâng), officially known as Keelung City, is a provincial city of Taiwan Province, Republic of China. It is in the northeastern part of the island. It is next to Taipei County. Nicknamed the Rainy Port for its frequent rain and maritime role, the city is Taiwan's second largest seaport (after Kaohsiung).
Kīrun, Ke-lung, Chilung
Top: A panoramic view of downtown Keelung and Keelung Port
Second left: Main gate of Chung Cheng Park
The Rainy Port (雨港)
|Country||Taiwan (Republic of China)|
|City seat||Zhongzheng District|
|• Mayor||Lin Yu-chang (DPP)|
|• Deputy Mayor||Lin Yong-fa|
|• Total||132.7589 km2 (51.2585 sq mi)|
|Area rank||18 of 22|
|• Rank||16 of 22|
|• Density||2,800/km2 (7,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (National Standard Time)|
|ISO 3166 code||TW-KEE|
|– Flower||Common crepe myrtle|
|– Tree||Formosan Sweet-gum|
|Taiwanese Hokkien Name|
Keelung was first inhabited by the Ketagalan, a tribe of Taiwanese aborigine. The Spanish expedition to Formosa in the early 17th century was its first contact with the West; by 1624 the Spanish had built San Salvador de Quelung, a fort in Keelung serving as an outpost of the Manila-based Spanish East Indies. The Spanish ruled it as a part of Spanish Formosa. From 1642 to 1661 and 1663–1668, Keelung was under Dutch control. The Dutch East India Company took over the Spanish Fort San Salvador at Santissima Trinidad.
Twin towns – Sister citiesEdit
Keelung is twinned with:
- Bacolod and Davao City, Philippines
- Bikini Atoll, Marshall Islands
- Campbell, California, U.S.
- Corpus Christi, Texas, U.S.
- East London, South Africa
- Marrickville, New South Wales, Australia
- Miyakojima, Okinawa, Japan
- Rosemead, California, U.S.
- Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.
- Template:Country data ROK Sangju, North Gyeongsang, South Korea
- Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
- Yakima, Washington, U.S.
- Cite error: The named reference
govklwas used but no text was provided for refs named (see the help page).
- "Deputy Mayor". Keelung City Government. Archived from the original on 27 December 2014. Retrieved 17 December 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- 人口統計. www.klcg.gov.tw (in Chinese). Archived from the original on 29 May 2016. Retrieved 6 June 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Altares, Guillermo (12 November 2016). "Una excavación aporta una nueva visión de la colonización de Asia". El País (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 13 November 2016. Retrieved 13 November 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Twitchett, Denis Crispin (1978). The Cambridge history of China, Volume 2; Volume 8. Cambridge University Press. p. 46. ISBN 9780521243339. OCLC 613665518.
- "Ming Dynasty and Cheng Cheng kung's Era". Keelung City Government. Archived from the original on 25 May 2010. Retrieved 12 June 2010. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
Find more about
at Wikipedia's sister projects
|Definitions from Wiktionary|
|Media from Commons|
|News stories from Wikinews|
|Quotations from Wikiquote|
|Source texts from Wikisource|
|Textbooks from Wikibooks|
|Learning resources from Wikiversity|
|Data from Wikidata|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide about: Keelung City|