This article needs to be updated. (August 2015)
Clarkson in 2013 at the Second inauguration of Barack Obama
Kelly Brianne Clarkson
April 24, 1982
Fort Worth, Texas, U.S.
|Residence||Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.|
Brandon Blackstock (m. 2013)
|Origin||Burleson, Texas, U.S.|
|Associated acts||Reba McEntire|
Clarkson has recorded four albums. Clarkson has sold over 10.6 million albums in the United States, becoming the highest-selling American Idol winner. According to Nielsen SoundScan, Clarkson is also ranked on the top 200 album sellers of the Nielsen SoundScan era at number 187.
Clarkson was born in Fort Worth, Texas,. She is the third and youngest child of Jeanne Rose, a first grade teacher, and Stephen Michael Clarkson.
Clarkson's parents divorced when she was six years old, after having been married for seventeen years. The family then moved to Burleson, where her mother remarried. She is of Greek (from a maternal great-grandfather), English, Irish, German, and Scottish ancestry. Her mother is a descendant of Republican state senator Isaiah Rose, whose life story was discussed on Clarkson's episode of Who Do You Think You Are?, in 2013.
Clarkson went to Pauline G Hughes Middle School and Burleson High School. She originally wanted to be a marine biologist, but changed her mind after she saw the movie Jaws. In seventh grade, one of her teachers overheard her singing in a hallway and asked her to audition for the school choir.
In high school, Clarkson performed in musicals such as Annie Get Your Gun, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and Brigadoon. She sang at her high school talent show, after which an audience member shared some inspiring words with her: "God has given you this gift. You've got to sing. You're destined to sing." Clarkson continued singing and soon started classical training, hoping that music would be her ticket to a college scholarship.
After finishing high school, Clarkson was offered full scholarships to The University of Texas at Austin, the University of North Texas, and the Berklee College of Music. However, she decided against college to pursue a career in music saying, "you're never too old to go to college."
On September 4, 2002, Clarkson won the first season of American Idol, beating Justin Guarini by a margin of 58% to 42%. After the results were announced, Clarkson performed the song "A Moment Like This", which was written for the winner of American Idol and would be released on her first CD Thankful. When it was released as a single in October of 2002, it set a record on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart when it rose from number 52 to number one. Thankful sold 236,000 copies in its first week in the U.S.
- Thankful (released April 15, 2003)
- Breakaway (released November 30, 2004)
- My December (released June 26, 2007)
- All I Ever Wanted (released March 3, 2009)
- Stronger, (released October 21, 2011)
- Greatest Hits – Chapter One, (released November 16, 2012)
- Wrapped in Red, (released October 25, 2013)
- Piece by piece (released on February 27, 2015)
- Meaning of Life (released on October 27, 2017)
- "A Moment like This/Before Your Love" (2002)
- "Miss Independent" (2003)
- "Low" (2003)
- "The Trouble with Love Is" (2003)
- "Breakaway" (2004)
- "Since U Been Gone" (2004)
- "Behind These Hazel Eyes" (2005)
- "Because of You" (2005)
- "Walk Away" (2006)
- "Never Again" (2007)
- "Sober" (2007) (Not released in Australia)
- "One Minute" (2007)
- "Don't Waste Your Time" (2007)
- "My Life Would Suck Without You" (2009)
- "I Do Not Hook Up" (2009)
- "Already Gone" (2009)
- "All I Ever Wanted" (2010)
- "Mr. Know It All" (2011)
- "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" (2011)
- "Dark Side" (2012)
- "Catch My Breath" (2012)
- "Don't Rush" (2012)
- "People Like Us" (2013)
- "Tie It Up" (2013)
- "Underneath the Tree" (2013)
- "Chart Watch Extra: The American Idol Alumni Association". Retrieved 2010-2-5. Check date values in:
- "Burleson is already 'Idol'-izing homegrown hopeful". The Dallas Morning News. August 20, 2002. Retrieved February 2, 2009.
[...] while Ms. Taylor has remained in Texas with her second husband, contractor Jimmy Taylor
- "Kelly Clarkson". IMDb.
- Stated on Who Do You Think You Are?, July 23, 2012
- Shawver, Sam. "Singer Kelly Clarkson visits the area – NewsandSentinel.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information – Parkersburg News and Sentinel". NewsandSentinel.com. Retrieved 2013-11-09.
- Snierson, Dan.Stupid Questions with Kelly Clarkson ew.com. August 26, 2005 (issue #837 September 02, 2005). Retrieved 2009-08-13.
- "Kelly Clarkson - Single-Minded: Cords of Steel - Artists - Reader's Digest".
- The Amazing Kelly Clarkson. Angelfire.com. Retrieved February 12, 2006.
- "Biography on sing365". Retrieved 2010-2-5. Check date values in:
- "Kelly Clarkson—Timeline". Retrieved 2006-2-12. Check date values in: