city in Ontario, Canada
Kitchener is a city in Ontario, Canada. Kitchener is in Southwestern Ontario and is near Toronto, Hamilton, Mississauga and London. It is in Waterloo Region. Other cities in Waterloo Region include Waterloo and Cambridge. Sometimes Kitchener, Waterloo, and Cambridge are known as the "technology triangle". It is on the Grand River, which leads to Lake Erie.
At first, Kitchener was called Berlin. When World War I started it seemed like a bad idea to have a city named after the capital of Germany. The city was renamed Kitchener, after a British general, Herbert Kitchener. Kitchener then slowly became a prosperous city as it is today.
A rapid transit system is planned to be added in the Waterloo Region.
- City of Kitchener
- Centre in the Square Archived 2007-01-13 at the Wayback Machine
- The Record Newspaper (Serving Waterloo Region)
- Satellite image courtesy of Google Maps
- Grand River Transit (serving Waterloo, Kitchener and Cambridge)
- Grand River Monorail (competing proposal for a Rapid Transit line through Waterloo, Kitchener and Cambridge) Archived 2006-12-05 at the Wayback Machine