List of Disney animated movies
The following is a list of movies which are said to be the Walt Disney Feature Animation (WDFA) canon. They are also known as the Walt Disney Animated Classics. The canon includes animated movies that were or are being produced entirely by WDFA. Movies which are not part of the canon are movies which include both animation and live-action, spin-offs from Disney television programs, the direct-to-video movies produced by the DisneyToons studio in Australia (some of which received theatrical releases), or the Pixar movies (which Disney "presents" but does not produce). WDFA once announced that Home on the Range (released April 2, 2004) would be its final traditionally animated movie. They also said that from Chicken Little (released November 4, 2005) onwards, all future WDFA movies will be computer animated. However, this changed in July 2006 when a new traditionally animated movie, The Princess and the Frog, was revealed to be in development.
|Walt Disney Animation Studios (1937–present)|
|Pixar Animation Studios (1995–present)|
|20th Century Animation (2019–present)|
|Disneytoon Studios (1990–2015)|
|Walt Disney Television Animation (1999–2004)|
|Studio Ghibli (1999–2014)|
|Other Disney studio|
|Not produced by Disney, but released under its label.||R|
- Films distributed by Miramax
The following is a list of films that were released by Miramax Films when the studio was a subsidiary of Disney at the time of release.
|Title||Scheduled U.S. theatrical/streaming release||Production company[st 1]|
|Turning Red||March 11, 2022[rls 4]||Pixar Animation Studios|
|The Bob's Burgers Movie||May 27, 2022[rls 7]||20th Century Animation, Wilo Productions and Bento Box Entertainment[st 6]|
|Lightyear||June 17, 2022||Pixar Animation Studios|
|Strange World||November 23, 2022||Walt Disney Animation Studios|
|Untitled Pixar film||June 16, 2023||Pixar Animation Studios|
|Untitled Carlos López Estrada film||November 22, 2023||Walt Disney Animation Studios|
|Untitled Pixar films||March 1, 2024||Pixar Animation Studios|
|June 14, 2024|
Related pages change
- Fischer, Russ (August 9, 2010). "Disney Sets 2012 Release Dates For John Carter of Mars and Frankenweenie". Archived from the original on August 18, 2010. Retrieved August 4, 2011.
- "Disney Sets Animation Slate To Infinity And Beyond". Deadline. May 29, 2013. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- Jardine, William (July 11, 2013). "Tonnes of New Details Revealed About Disney's Upcoming Slate!". Big Screen Animation. Retrieved July 11, 2013.
- Kilday, Gregg (December 4, 2013). "Pixar vs. Disney Animation: John Lasseter's Tricky Tug-of-War". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- "Pixar's 'The Good Dinosaur' Pushed Back Nearly 18 Months After Losing Director". Hollywoodreporter.com. 2011-11-17. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- Kit, Borys (July 17, 2012). "Andrew Stanton to Direct Pixar's Finding Nemo Sequel". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- Graser, Marc (October 20, 2014). "Disney Sails Into Theaters With Animated 'Moana' in 2016". Variety. Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- Hipes, Patrick (October 8, 2015). "Disney: 'Ant Man And The Wasp' A Go, 'Incredibles 2' Dated & More". Deadline. Retrieved October 9, 2015.
- "meet the newest disney pixar film, coco". disney. 2015. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- Graser, Marc (November 6, 2014). "Pixar's 'Toy Story 4′ Set to Play in Theaters in 2017". Variety. Retrieved November 7, 2014.
- Tilly, Chris (Mar 24, 2016). "Wreck-It Ralph 2 Still Happening, Might Feature Mario". IGN. Retrieved June 18, 2016.
- Lang, Brent & Khatchatourian, Maane (April 25, 2017). "Disney Dates 'Lion King' and 'Frozen 2,' Pushes Fifth 'Indiana Jones' Film to 2020". Variety. Retrieved 2017-04-25.
- Rubin, Rebecca (November 1, 2018). "'Frozen 2' Release Date Moves Up a Week". Variety. Retrieved November 2, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (October 9, 2017). "Will Smith & Tom Holland Topline 'Spies In Disguise' Animated Film". Deadline. Retrieved March 31, 2018.
- Lang, Brent; Rubin, Rebecca (May 7, 2019). "Disney Announces New 'Star Wars' Films, Moves 'Avatar' Sequels". Variety. Retrieved May 7, 2019.
- McNary, Dave (12 December 2018). "Chris Pratt, Tom Holland, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Octavia Spencer to Voice Pixar's 'Onward'". Retrieved 2018-12-12.
- "'Soul' Will Be Pixar's Big Pic Next Summer". Deadline. June 19, 2019. Retrieved June 19, 2019.
- Fuster, Jeremy (April 13, 2020). "Disney Moves 'Soul,' 'Raya and the Last Dragon' Release Dates". TheWrap. Retrieved April 13, 2020.
- Lenker, Maureen Lee (October 10, 2017). "Disney shelves planned Jack and the Beanstalk animated re-telling Gigantic". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2017-10-10.
We are focusing our energies on another project that has been in the works, which we'll be sharing more about soon, now set for Thanksgiving 2020."
- Hogarty, Joe (2019-08-24). "Disney Announces Upcoming New Animated Movie, "Raya And The Last Dragon" at D23 Expo 2019". WDW News Today. Retrieved August 24, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (2017-10-12). "'Gambit' Starring Channing Tatum Will Open Valentine's Day 2019". Deadline. Retrieved October 13, 2017.
- "Bob's Burgers Movie, The King's Man Get Disney Film Delays". IGN. January 22, 2021. Retrieved January 22, 2021.
- @DisneyAnimation (11 December 2020). "This Fall, Walt Disney Animation..." (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Milligan, Mercedes (March 1, 2018). "Disney Pushes Live 'Mulan' to 2020, Dates Multi-Studio Slate". Animation Magazine. Retrieved March 5, 2018.
- Pixar is planning to go back to 'normal' theatrical releases with 2022's 'Turning Red'
- Hipes, Patrick (October 4, 2017). "'Bob's Burgers' Movie Ordered Up For 2020". Deadline. Retrieved March 31, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (December 10, 2020). "Pixar Has Buzz Lightyear Origin Movie In Works With Chris Evans & 'Turning Red' From 'Bao' Filmmaker Domee Shi". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 10, 2020.
- Fisher, Jacob (July 5, 2021). "Don Hall & Qui Nguyen Reteam For Walt Disney Animation's 2022 Film (EXCLUSIVE)". Discussing Film. Retrieved July 11, 2021.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (November 15, 2019). "Disney Dates A Ton Of Pics Into 2023 & Juggles Fox Releases With Ridley Scott's 'The Last Duel' To Open Christmas 2020, 'The King's Man' Next Fall - Update". Deadline. Retrieved November 15, 2019.
- Shuler, Skyler (February 14, 2021). "Director Carlos López Estrada Talks 'Raya and the Last Dragon,' His New Animated Film and Live-Action 'Robin Hood'". The DisInsider. Retrieved July 17, 2021.
- ""WALT DISNEY STUDIOS MOTION PICTURES RELEASE SCHEDULE" (PDF)" (PDF). Walt Disney Studios. April 13, 2020. Retrieved May 3, 2020.
- Kit, Borys (September 10, 2021). "Disney's Live-Action 'The Little Mermaid' to Open on Memorial Day Weekend in 2023". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 11, 2021.
- Released by Disney in North America
- Released by Disney in Australia and United Kingdom
- Listed are the original theatrical release dates in the United States (or other non-U.S. territories) when the film was contributed by the Walt Disney Company. Different distributors are attributed and credited for distributing each film throughout the history of the Walt Disney Company. Films released before 1954 were released by RKO Radio Pictures (with the exception of Victory Through Air Power, refused by RKO and then released by United Artists); films released after 1955 were released by Disney-owned Buena Vista Distribution and through its current name Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures (since 2007); and films released after 1985 are co-credited with Walt Disney Pictures.
- Originally distributed by Walt Disney Productions. Original RKO date of release was January 29, 1941
- Released by Walt Disney Pictures in North America
- Not released theatrically in the United States
- Released by Disney outside North America
- Limited release in the United States.
- The film was initially scheduled to be released in theaters on July 17, 2020, but was briefly pulled from the schedule due to an error in listings. In announcing revised released dates of various films due to the global health crisis of the COVID-19 pandemic, Disney announced that the film's release was pushed back to April 9, 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. As of January 22, 2021, the film has been removed from the release calendar.
- Animated films that are listed as produced by Walt Disney were either entirely produced prior to 1986 as part of the animation department of Walt Disney Productions or by the restructured studio unit Walt Disney Feature Animation, known after 2006 as Walt Disney Animation Studios. Some films may have been animated at various satellite animation studios as well. "Walt Disney Animated Films - History". Walt Disney Animation Studios. Archived from the original on 2013-01-21.
- Released under the Touchstone Pictures label.
- Released by Walt Disney Pictures.
- Co-production with The Walt Disney Company India Pvt. Ltd.
- The film studio ImageMovers Digital, run by Robert Zemeckis, was owned by Disney from 2007 to 2010. These films were performance captured animated films.
- Released by 20th Century Fox/20th Century Studios
Studio Ghibli films original release dates
- Original date of release was July 20, 2001
- Original date of release was November 20, 2004
- Original date of release was July 19, 2008
- Original date of release was July 29, 2006
- Original date of release was July 17, 2010
- Original date of release was July 20, 2013
- Original date of release was October 1, 1992
- Original date of release was May 15, 1992
- Original date of release was July 12, 1997
- Original date of release was July 7, 2001
- Original date of release was July 13, 2002
- Original date of release was July 19, 2003
- Original date of release was July 17, 2004