List of extinct volcanoes
Volcanologists sometimes can't tell whether a volcano is extinct or dormant. A caldera that has not produced an eruption in tens of thousands of years is likely to be considered inactive. Sometimes a volcano that has been quiet that long surprises people by erupting.
There are many examples of extinct volcanoes.
- Ben Nevis, the tallest mountain in Scotland.
- Hawaiian–Emperor seamount chain in the northern Pacific Ocean
- Mount Kulal in Kenya
- Huascarán in Peru
- Kyushu-Palau Ridge in the Philippine Sea
- Mount Buninyong in Australia
- Chimborazo in Ecuador
- Tamu Massif in the Northwest Pacific Ocean
- Waw an-Namus in Lybia
- The plural of volcano can be either volcanos or volcanoes. Both are equally correct, and it is not a matter of British vs US spelling. Oxford English Dictionary. Spelling in any particular Simple page tries to be consistent.
- Ball, Jessica. "Voices: Dead or alive ... or neither? Why a dormant volcano is not a dead one," Earth Magazine (American Geosciences Institute). September 8, 2010; retrieved 2012-6-14.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute, "Life-cycle of Hawaiian hot spot volcanoes"; retrieved 2012-6-14.
- Edinburgh Geological Society, "Edinburgh’s Geology"; retrieved 2016-2-28.
- Some volcanologists have described to extinct volcanoes as "inactive". However, the term 'inactive' is now more used for dormant volcanos which were once thought to be extinct.
- Tarduno, John A. "Hotspots Unplugged," Scientific American. January 2009; retrieved 2012-6-14.
- "Geography of Lake Turkana". National Geographic.
- BBC, "On This Day, 11 January 1962: Thousands killed in Peru landslide"; retrieved 2012-6-14.
- Kobayashi, K. "Origin of the Palau and Yap trench-arc systems," Geophysical Journal International, Vol. 157, Issue 7, p. 1306.
- City of Ballarat, "Mt Buninyong Scenic Reserve"; retrieved 2012-6-14.
- "New Giant Volcano Below Sea Is Largest in the World". 2013-09-06. Retrieved 2018-09-06.
- Temehu.com. "Waw an-Namus (al-Namous) Volcano". www.temehu.com. Retrieved 2018-09-06.