commune in Corrèze, France
(Redirected from List of popes from the Roger family)
Rosiers-d'Égletons is a commune in the Corrèze department in central France. It is part of the canton of Égletons. The village is named after the Rosier family, which is the family that Popes Clement VI and Gregory XI belonged to. The coat of arms of the commune originally belonged to the Rosier family. People from Rosiers-d'Égletons are often called Rosiérois.
|Coordinates: 45°22′37″N 2°00′25″E / 45.377°N 2.007°ECoordinates: 45°22′37″N 2°00′25″E / 45.377°N 2.007°E|
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Jean Boinet|
|38.09 km2 (14.71 sq mi)|
|• Density||29/km2 (74/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
The Rosier (or Roger) family lived in Limousin in central France. Two members of this family became popes:
- Pope Clement VI (1342–1352), born Pierre Roger,
- Pope Gregory XI (1370-1378), born Pierre Roger de Beaufort,
The exact location where Popes Clement VI and Gregory were born is not known with certainty. We know only that they were baptised in a Church of the Roses (French: l'église de Rosiers).
- ↑ Arms of the Roger de Beaufort Archived 2017-03-27 at the Wayback Machine; retrieved 2011-12-1.
- ↑ "Pope Clement VI", Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-12-1.
- ↑ "Pope Gregory XI", Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-12-1.