List of water sports
Many sports are played in water. The following is a list of water sports, divided by category. This list is not complete. Some of the sports include only one part related to swimming, as for example Triathlon.
In the water (13)Edit
- Triathlon - Usually a combination of swimming, cycling and running
- Modern pentathlon includes épée fencing, pistol shooting, swimming, a show jumping course on horseback, and a cross-country run.
- Rescue swimming - Swimming with the goal to rescue other swimmers or the practice thereof.
- Surf lifesaving - A competitive sport which evolved from the training activities of lifeguards at Australian surf beaches.
- Water polo - A team ball sport played in water.
- Synchronized swimming - A hybrid of swimming, gymnastics, and ballett.
- Fin swimming - Swimming with fins
- Water aerobics - Aerobics in the water
- Water gymnastics - Gymnastics in the water
- Snorkeling - The practice of swimming at the surface (typically of the sea) with a mask and a short tube called a snorkel.
- Diving off springboards or off platforms
- A water slide - A slide with water flowing down it
Underwater water (6)Edit
- Scuba diving - Swimming under water using a (self contained) breathing apparatus
- Free-diving - The aim to maximize the depth dived using no breathing apparatus
- Apnea - The practice of not breathing for extended times.
- Underwater rugby - Rugby played under water with a ball that has been rendered neutrally buoyant. Surfacing to breathe is only allowed without the ball.
- Underwater hockey - Hockey played under water with short wooden curved sticks and a heavy puck. Players wear diving masks, snorkels, and fins, and must surface to breathe while team mates continue the game on the pool bottom.
Near the water (20)Edit
- Boating - The use of boats
- Bodyboarding - Similar to surfing, but the board is smaller and the person lies down on the board
- Canoe Polo - Polo using a canoe
- Dragon Boat Racing - A team paddling sport on water
- Fishing - The recreation and sport of catching fish
- Hydroplane racing
- Jet sprint boat racing
- Kite surfing - on flat water using a kite for propulsion
- Motor boating
- Offshore powerboat racing
- Parasailing - A person is towed behind a vehicle (usually a boat) while attached to a parachute
- Rowing - Propels a boat by means of oars
- Sailing - Using the wind for propulsion
- Surfing - The sport or pastime of riding a wave towards the shore while standing or lying on a surfboard.
- Wakeboarding - Similar to water skiing, but using only one board attached to the feet
- Wake skating - Similar to wakeboarding, but the board is NOT attached to the feet
- Water skiing - Using skis to slide over the water while being pulled by a boat or other device
- Wind surfing - On flat water using wind for propulsion in combination with sails
Overall, there are a total of 39 water sports.