Funimation Productions, LLC is an American entertainment company. It is well known for dubbing and releasing content made outside the United States, especially with anime. Sony owns 95% of the company. This ownership is shared between Sony Pictures and Sony Music Entertainment Japan. The other 5% is owned by Gen Fukunaga, who is one of Funimation's founders. The company is based in Flower Mound, Texas. It is one of the most important companies in North America that release anime and other foreign entertainment.
|Formerly||FUNimation Productions (1994–2005)|
FUNimation Entertainment (2005–2011)
|Founded||9 May 1994|
|Gen Fukunaga (founder & chairman)|
Colin Decker (general manager)
|Products||Anime, motion pictures, Japanese/Asian cinema|
|Owner||Sony (95%, Sony Pictures Entertainment and Sony Music Entertainment Japan joint ownership)|
Gen Fukunaga (5%)
|Parent||Sony Pictures Television (2017–present)|
Madman Anime Group
Manga Entertainment UK
The company was created on 9 May 1994 by Gen Fukunaga and his wife, Cindy. The original name of the company during this time was FUNimation Productions. Later, in 2005, Navarre Corporation bought the company. It was also renamed FUNimation Entertainment. In 2011, Funimation was sold to a group of investors by Navarre.
In 2002, it merged with Crunchyroll.
- "Celebrating 20 years of the best in anime". Funimation. Archived from the original on 20 August 2014. Retrieved 2 April 2020.
- "About US". Funimation Films. Archived from the original on 12 December 2016. Retrieved 2 April 2020.
- Loo, Egan (4 April 2011). "Navarre Sells Funimation to Group with Gen Fukunaga". AnimeNewsNetwork. Retrieved 2 April 2020.