Wikimedia disambiguation page
Malaya is both a name and word that has different meanings in different places.
Malaysia & SingaporeEdit
In the history of Malaysia and Singapore, "Malaya" (Malay: Tanah Melayu) can refer to:
- British Malaya, (18th century-1946) a loose collection of British controlled states in the Malay Peninsula, including Singapore
- The Malayan Union, (1946-1948) a post-war British colony consisting of all states in British Malaya, excluding Singapore
- The Federation of Malaya (Persekutuan Tanah Melayu) (1948-1963), the successor of the Malayan Union (also excluding Singapore) which gained independence within the Commonwealth of Nations in 1957
- present-day Peninsular Malaysia, the states and territories formerly comprising the Federation of Malaya (1963-present), now also known formally as the States of Malaya (Negeri-negeri Tanah Melayu)
- Malaya (movie), a 1949 American film set in Japanese occupied Malaya
- In the Shambhala tradition, the name of a "National Forest" or sacred garden, comparable to the Garden of Eden.
- Oxana Malaya (born 1983), a feral child that lived most of her life in the company of dogs, picking a number of their habits.
- Malay Archipelago, for the macroregion