The Mario series is a series of popular platform games by Nintendo, featuring Nintendo's mascot Mario and, in most of the games, his brother Luigi. The Mario series has been running for more than 25 years, and in has released more than 200 video games. The series has been named the best-selling video game series in history, with over 262 million combined units sold.
The series started out in 1981 with the arcade video game, Donkey Kong, and has since then taken off into its own series. It was created by Shigeru Miyamoto, Mario, going under the name Jumpman when Donkey Kong was first released, is the main protagonist throughout most of the series; the main antagonist of the series is Bowser, the King of all Koopas. Most of the games have something to do with jumping and defeating enemies. The games usually feature simple storylines; the most common plot theme in the series being Bowser, the main bad person, taking away Princess Peach, who the Mario brothers try to save during the games, with their latest release was Super Mario Maker 2 on June 28, 2019; with their next release being Super Mario Odyssey 2: The Next Chapter on July 24, 2020.
- Super Mario Odyssey 2: The Next Chapter - Nintendo Switch (July 24, 2020)
- Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 - Nintendo Switch (November 22, 2019)
- Luigi’s Mansion 3 - Nintendo Switch (January 1, 2020)
- Mario & Luigi: Dream Team + Kamek's Wishes - Nintendo 3DS (January 10, 2020)
- Paper Mario: Color Splash - Nintendo Switch / Nintendo 3DS (February 7, 2020)
- Mario Party 11 - Nintendo Switch (March 20, 2020)
- Super Mario 3D World - Nintendo Switch / Nintendo 3DS (April 1, 2020)
- Yoshi's Colorful World - Nintendo Switch (May 24, 2020)
- Mario & Sonic at the Summer Olympic Games - Nintendo Switch (July 3, 2020)
- "The Greatest 200 Videogames of Their Time". Electronic Gaming Monthly. Retrieved 2007-08-09.
- "Nintendo DS Lite Suggested Retail Price Drops to $99.99 and Mario Games Go Red". Retrieved 2014-11-04.