Martin Scorsese (born November 17, 1942) is an American-Italian movie director. He was born in Queens and raised in Manhattan. Many of Scorsese's movies have Italian American, Roman Catholic and violent themes or ideas. Scorsese is probably best known for his movies about the mafia. He won the Academy Award for Best Director for his movie The Departed at the 79th Academy Awards in 2007; the movie also won Academy Awards for Best Picture, Best Film Editing and Best Adapted Screenplay. This was Scorsese's first Academy Award for Best Director.
Scorsese at the Tribeca Film Festival, 2007
Martin Charles Scorsese
November 17, 1942
|Education||Cardinal Hayes High School|
|Alma mater||New York University (B.A.)|
NYU Tisch School of the Arts (M.F.A.)
|Occupation||Film director, producer, actor, screenwriter|
|Spouse(s)||Laraine Marie Brennan (1965–ca 71; divorced)|
Julia Cameron (1976–77; divorced)
Isabella Rossellini (1979–82; divorced)
Barbara De Fina (1985–91; divorced)
Helen Morris (1999–present)
Awards and recognitionsEdit
- Scorsese received the AFI Life Achievement Award in 1997.
- In 1998, the American Film Institute placed three Scorsese movies on their list of the greatest movies in America: Raging Bull at #24, Taxi Driver at #47 and Goodfellas at #94.
- Scorsese received the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic on January 18, 2001.
- In 2001, AFI put two Scorsese movies on their list of the most "heart-pounding movies" in American cinema: Taxi Driver at #22 and Raging Bull at #51.
- At a ceremony in Paris, France, on January 5, 2005, Martin Scorsese was awarded the French Legion of Honor in recognition of his contribution to cinema.
- In 2007, Scorsese won the Academy Award for Best Director for The Departed, which also won Best Picture.
- On September 11, 2007, the Kennedy Center Honors committee, which recognizes career excellence and cultural influence, named Scorsese as one of the honorees for the year.
- On June 17, 2008, AFI put two of Scorsese's films on the AFI's 10 Top 10 list: Raging Bull at #1 for the Sports genre and Goodfellas at #2 for the Gangster genre.
- Scorsese received the 2010 Cecil B. DeMille Award at the 67th Golden Globe Awards.
- On September 18, 2011 Scorsese won in the category Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series, for his work on the series premiere of Boardwalk Empire.
- On January 15, 2012, at the 69th Golden Globe Awards, Scorsese won an award for Best Director on the 2011 movie Hugo.
- On February 12, 2012 at the 65th British Academy Film Awards, Scorsese received the BAFTA Academy Fellowship Award.
Scorsese has earned praise from many film legends including Ingmar Bergman, Frank Capra, Jean-Luc Godard, Werner Herzog, Elia Kazan, Akira Kurosawa, David Lean, Michael Powell, Satyajit Ray, and François Truffaut.
|Year||Film||Academy Award Nominations||Academy Award Wins||Golden Globe Nominations||Golden Globe Wins||BAFTA Nominations||BAFTA Wins|
|1974||Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore||3||1||2||7||4|
|1977||New York, New York||4||2|
|1983||The King of Comedy||5||1|
|1986||The Color of Money||4||1||2|
|1988||The Last Temptation of Christ||1||2|
|1993||The Age of Innocence||5||1||4||1||4||1|
|2002||Gangs of New York||10||5||2||12||1|
|1978||The Last Waltz|
|1978||American Boy: A Profile of Steven Prince|
|1995||A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies|
|1999||My Voyage to Italy||Melbourne International Film Festival Best Documentary|
National Board of Review William K. Everson Film History Award
National Society of Film Critics Award Special Award
Nominated – Satellite Award for Best Documentary Film
|2003||The Blues (series)|
|2005||No Direction Home: Bob Dylan||Grammy Award for Best Long Form Music Video|
Nominated – Emmy Award for Outstanding Direction for Nonfiction Programming
|2008||Shine a Light (film)|
|2010||Public Speaking||Nominated-Gotham Independent Film Awards 2010|
|2011||George Harrison: Living in the Material World||Critics' Choice Movie Award Best Documentary |
Nominated - BAFTA Award for Best Documentary
|1963||"What's a Nice Girl Like You Doing in a Place Like This?"|
|1964||"It's Not Just You, Murray!"|
|1967||"The Big Shave"||L'Âge d'or – Knokke-le-Zoute Film Festival|
|1987||"Bad"||(music video with Michael Jackson)|
|1989||"New York Stories"||(segment "Life's Lessons")|
|1990||"Made in Milan"|
|2007||"The Key to Reserva"|
|2010–present||Boardwalk Empire||Executive producer, director (series premiere)|
Directors Guild of America Award for Outstanding Directing – Drama Series
Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series
Appearances on cameraEdit
|1967||Who's That Knocking at My Door||Thug #2||cameo|
|1973||Mean Streets||Jimmy Shorts and Charlie Cappa's narration||cameo|
|1974||Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore||Man in cafeteria||cameo|
|1976||Taxi Driver||Passenger in Travis's cab||cameo|
|1978||The Last Waltz||Himself|
|1980||Raging Bull||The Man who speaks with La Motta in the end|
|1983||The King of Comedy||TV director||cameo|
|1985||After Hours||Man with searchlight||cameo|
|1986||The Color of Money||opening narrator||uncredited|
|1986||Round Midnight||R.W. Goodley|
|1990||Dreams||Vincent van Gogh|
|1991||Guilty by Suspicion||Joe Lesser|
|1993||The Age of Innocence||Photographer||uncredited cameo|
|1994||Quiz Show||Martin Rittenhome|
|1999||Bringing Out the Dead||Dispatcher|
|2002||Gangs of New York||Wealthy homeowner|
|2004||The Aviator||Hell's Angel's projectionist||voice (uncredited)|
|2005||Curb Your Enthusiasm||Himself|
|2008||Shine a Light||Himself|
- "EuroScreenwriters – Interviews with European Film Directors – Ingmar Bergman".
- Capra, Frank; Poague, Leland A (2004-03). Frank Capra: interviews. ISBN 978-1-57806-617-9. Check date values in:
- Godard, Jean Luc; Sterritt, David (1998). Jean-Luc Godard: interviews. ISBN 978-1-57806-081-8.
- "Werner Herzog Interview – UGO.com".
- "Programa de Educação Tutorial da Faculdade de Economia da UFF". Retrieved September 1, 2010.
- Kurosawa, Akira; Cardullo, Bert (2008). Akira Kurosawa: interviews. ISBN 978-1-57806-997-2.
- Organ, Steven (2009). David Lean:interviews. Univ. Press of Mississippi. pp. 110, 154. ISBN 978-1-60473-235-1. Retrieved September 1, 2010.
- Lazar, David (2003-04). Michael Powell: interviews. ISBN 978-1-57806-498-4. Check date values in:
- Ray, Satyajit; Cardullo, Bert (2007-01). Satyajit Ray: interviews. ISBN 978-1-57806-937-8. Check date values in:
- Truffaut, François; Bergan, Ronald (2008-01). François Truffaut: interviews. ISBN 978-1-934110-14-0. Check date values in:
- "Berlinale: 1992 Programme". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2011-05-22.