Michael D. Higgins
Michael Daniel Higgins (born 18 April 1941) is the ninth and current President of Ireland. He took office on 11 November 2011. Higgins is an Irish politician, poet, sociologist, author and broadcaster. Higgins was Teachta Dála (TD) and represented the Galway West constituency. He also was the Minister for Arts, Culture and Gaeltacht from 1993 to 1997. Higgins was the President of the Labour Party from 2003 until his election to the presidency in 2011.
Michael D. Higgins
|9th President of Ireland|
|Assumed office |
11 November 2011
|Preceded by||Mary McAleese|
|Minister for Arts, Culture and the Gaeltacht|
15 December 1994 – 26 June 1997
|Preceded by||Bertie Ahern|
|Succeeded by||Síle de Valera|
12 January 1993 – 17 November 1994
|Preceded by||John Wilson|
|Succeeded by||Bertie Ahern|
17 February 1987 – 25 February 2011
|Preceded by||Fintan Coogan|
|Succeeded by||Derek Nolan|
11 June 1981 – 24 November 1982
|Preceded by||Seat established|
|Succeeded by||Fintan Coogan|
23 February 1983 – 3 April 1987
|Constituency||National University of Ireland|
1 June 1973 – 26 May 1977
Michael Daniel Higgins
18 April 1941
Labour Party (1968–2011)
Sabina Coyne (m. 1974)
|Alma mater||University College, Galway|
Indiana University, Bloomington
University of Manchester
Higgins was born on the 18 April 1941. His fathers name was John and he was from Ballycar, County Clare. His father was a member of the militant group, the Irish Republican Army. His fathers rank was a 2nd Lieutenant. He served alongside his brother Peter and Michael.
Higgins was born on 18 April 1941 in Limerick, Ireland. He studied at University College, Galway, at Indiana University, Bloomington, and at the University of Manchester. Higgins has been married to Sabina Coyne since 1974. They have four children.
- "Michael D. Higgins elected President of Ireland". RTÉ News. 29 October 2011. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- "Michael D. Higgins wins Irish presidential election". The Daily Telegraph. London. 31 May 2011. Retrieved 30 October 2011.
- O'Leary, Jennifer (28 October 2011). "Who is Michael D Higgins?". BBC News. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- Biography at Áras an Uachtaráin website
- Documentary about Michael D. Higgins (family, career, and presidential campaign) on YouTube, TG4, 2011.
- Presidential election acceptance speech (RTÉ video in Irish and English)
- Presidential inauguration speech (Text)
- Audio recording of speech opening the G. B. Shaw: Back in Town conference, Dublin 2012
- Henry, William (2002). Role of Honour: The Mayors of Galway City 1485–2001. Galway: Galway City Council.