"Mountain Dew" was first a slang word for moonshine or homemade whisky. The name for the soft drink was first trademarked by Ally and Barney Hartman in the 1940s. Early bottles were printed with the words: “Yahoo Mountain Dew…It’ll tickle your innards.” The bottles were green and had a cartoon drawing of a hillbilly moonshiner with a gun. This design lasted until the mid 1960s.
Mountain Dew has different flavors:
- Diet: a flavor which has no calories.
- Code Red: a cherry flavor.
- Voltage: a blue colored raspberry-citrus and ginseng flavor.
- Baja Blast: a tropical lime and pineapple flavored Mountain Dew, which can only be found at Taco Bell.
- White Out: a citrus (lemon, lime orange, and grapefruit) flavor with a smokey white color
- LiveWire: An orange flavored Mountain Dew, also colored orange.