A Nagar Panchayat or Notified Area Council (NAC) or City Council in India is a council helps in the transformation of from rural to urban.
Each Nagar Panchayat has a committee consisting of a chairman / mayor along with ward/counselors members. There are at least ten elected ward members and three nominated members.
There are seats reserved for scheduled castes, scheduled tribes, backward classes and women. The councillors or ward members are chosen by direct election from electoral wards in the Nagar Panchayat.
- Essential services and facilities to the urban area.
- Sanitation program.
- Street lighting and providing roads in wards and main roads of town.
- Schools in urban areas.
- Program for adult literacy and run city libraries.
- Water supply to every ward of urban area.
- Drainage system to clear the solid and liquid wastes from town.
- Maintaining records of births and deaths.
- "The Constitution (seventy-fourth Amendment) Act, 1992". India Code Legislative Department. Ministry of Law and Justice. Retrieved 28 September 2015.