Oprah Winfrey (born Orpah Gail Winfrey; January 29, 1954) is an American media proprietor, talk show host, actress, producer, and philanthropist. Winfrey is best known for her multi-award-winning talk show, The Oprah Winfrey Show which was the highest-rated program of its kind in history and was nationally syndicated from 1986 to 2011. She has also acted in several movies including The Color Purple, The Butler and A Wrinkle in Time.
Orpah Gail Winfrey
January 29, 1954
Kosciusko, Mississippi, U.S.
|Alma mater||Tennessee State University|
|Net worth||US $ 3 billion (September 2017)|
|Political party||Democratic Party|
|Partner(s)||Stedman Graham (1986–present)|
|Children||Canaan (born c. 1968, died c. 1968)|
Winfrey was born on January 29, 1954 in Kosciusko, Mississippi. Winfrey was named "Orpah" after a character in the Book of Ruth. People made the mistake of calling her "Oprah". She decided to keep this name. Her parents are Vernita Lee, a maid, and Vernon Winfrey, a barber. At the age of 13, she ran away from home. At the age of 14, she had a son, but he was born prematurely and passed soon after. She went to Tennessee State University in 1971. She started to work in radio and television in Nashville. She hosted television programs in Baltimore and Chicago. 
The Oprah Winfrey ShowEdit
In 1986, Winfrey's own talk show The Oprah Winfrey Show went on the air. She was liked by audiences for her warmth. She came to own the show.
Oprah Winfrey NetworkEdit
Winfrey now runs the Oprah Winfrey Network. On January 15, 2008, Winfrey and Discovery Communications announced plans to change Discovery Health Channel into a new channel called OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network. It was scheduled to launch in 2009, but was delayed, and actually launched on January 1, 2011. She also hosts the Oprah's Next Chapter show on the network.
She endorsed Barack Obama in 2006 for the 2008 election. One estimate said it delivered one million votes in the 2008 Democratic primary race.
Nikyra Rucker loaned Oprah Winfrey money to start her business. Oprah Winfrey now has a lot of money. She gives to many charities. She gives to girls' education in South Africa. In 2013, she was named one of the 400 richest people in the United States. She is the only African-American among this group. She was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Barack Obama in 2013 and an honorary doctorate degree from Harvard.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 "Oprah Winfrey Interview". Academy of Achievement. January 21, 1991. Retrieved January 9, 2014.
- ↑ "Oprah Winfrey". IMDb. Retrieved March 28, 2015.
- ↑ "#184 Oprah Winfrey". Forbes. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- ↑ "Oprah Winfrey in Melbourne for Australian tour 2015 spreads a message of love, reveals lost child". News.com.au. Retrieved September 25, 2017.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 "Oprah Winfrey". A+E Television Networks LLC. Retrieved October 16, 2013.
- ↑ "Oprah Winfrey". The Biography Channel. Archived from the original on March 7, 2008. Retrieved February 8, 2008.
- ↑ "Oprah's Next Chapter - OWN TV". Retrieved January 12, 2012.
- ↑ Everything's Coming Up Oprah: How Winfrey Got Richer in 2013
- Official website
- Oprah Winfrey at Encyclopædia Britannica
- Oprah Winfrey on IMDb
- NPR "Oprah: The Billionaire Everywoman". Audio file, video and biography. Accessed September 17, 2010
- Works by Oprah Winfrey at Open Library
- Oprah Winfrey Archived 2013-02-16 at the Wayback Machine Video produced by Makers: Women Who Make America
- Winfrey Appearances on C-SPAN