Peppa Pig is a British preschool animated television series aimed at two to five year olds, though many other ages from five to fifty year olds also enjoy the childrens show. It was created, directed and produced by Astley Baker Davies. It originally aired on 31 May 2004. Peppa Pig is distributed by E1 Kids. To date, six seasons have been aired. It is shown in 180 countries.
|Narrated by||John Sparkes|
|Theme music composer||Julian Nott|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||6|
|No. of episodes||303 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||5 minutes|
(later 30 minutes (3 10-minute segments))
Nickelodeon Europe (2004-2017)Channel 5 (2004-2017)
|Original release||31 May 2004 –|
|Related shows||Ben & Holly's Little Kingdom|
In every Peppa Pig episode, the family of Peppa Pig does a variety of different activities. Mostly, the episodes are about Peppa Pig playing with her other animal friends.
Production and airing Edit
In the United Kingdom, the first series of 52 five-minute episodes began on Channel 5 on 31 May 2004. The second series of 52 episodes began on Channel 5 on 4 September 2006, with Cecily Bloom replacing Lily Snowden-Fine as Peppa, among other cast changes. The third series started telecasting on Channel 5's preschool-targeted block Milkshake! on 4 May 2009 with Harley Bird replacing Cecily Bloom and Lily Snowden-Fine as Peppa.
In the United States, the series first aired as part of Cartoon Network's Tickle-U preschool programming block from 22 August 2005 to 2007. For these airings, the show was redubbed with American actors. However, there were no other official releases of this dub, and every US airing since 2008 uses the original British soundtrack. In 2008, Peppa Pig moved to the Noggin channel in the US. It was aired as part of Noggin Presents, a series of interstitial shorts aired in between full shows. Since February 2011, the series airs as a half-hour show on the Nick Jr. US channel, and on the separate Nick Jr. block on Nickelodeon as of November 2013. For each episode, 5 segments are put together (though for the special containing "Golden Boots" and the episode containing "Around the World", only 3 segments are used) to make the run time 25 minutes. As of June 2021, there were 9 seasons (and 1 standalone special) of Peppa Pig in the US.
List of characters Edit
Pig Family Edit
- Peppa Pig - A cheeky little pig. Her hobbies include jumping in muddy puddles, playing with Teddy, going to playgroup, playing Happy Mrs. Chicken, and playing dress up.
- George Pig
- Dinosaur- George Pig's toy dinosaur
- Mummy Pig
- Daddy Pig
- Grandpa Pig
- Granny Pig
- Uncle Pig
- Auntie Pig
- Cousin Chloe
- Cousin Alexander
Rabbit Family Edit
- Rebecca Rabbit - Peppa's friend. Her hobby is making a special noise.
- Richard Rabbit
- Miss Rabbit
- Mrs. Rabbit
- Mr. Rabbit
- Grampy Rabbit
- Rosie & Robbie Rabbit
Sheep Family Edit
- Suzy Sheep - Peppa's best friend. Her hobby is dancing.
- Mummy Sheep
- Charlotte Sheep
Cat Family Edit
- Candy Cat - One of Peppa's friends. Her hobby is skipping.
- Mrs. Cat
- Mr. Cat
Dog Family Edit
- Danny Dog - Peppa's friend. His hobby is banging a drum.
- Mrs. Dog
- Granddad Dog
- Captain Dog
- Granny Dog
Pony Family Edit
- Pedro Pony - Peppa's friend. His hobby is performing magic tricks.
- Mrs. Pony
- Dr. Pony
Zebra Family Edit
- Zoe Zebra - A zebra. Her hobby is singing.
- Mrs. Zebra
- Postman Mr. Zebra
- Zuzu & Zaza Zebra
Elephant Family Edit
- Emily Elephant - Peppa's friend. Her hobby is playing the recorder.
- Edmond Elephant
- Dr. Elephant
- Mrs. Elephant
Fox Family Edit
- Freddy Fox - Peppa's friend.
- Mr. Fox
- Mrs. Fox
Kangaroo Family Edit
- Kylie Kangaroo - Peppa's friend.
- Joey Kangaroo
- Mrs. Kangaroo
- Mr. Kangaroo
Wolf Family Edit
- Wendy Wolf - Peppa's friend.
- Mr. Wolf
- Mrs. Wolf
- Granny Wolf
Goat Family Edit
- Gabriella Goat - Peppa's friend.
- Signor Goat
- Uncle Goat
- Auntie Goat
Giraffe Family Edit
- Gerald Giraffe - Peppa's new friend.
- Mr. Giraffe
- Mrs. Giraffe
Mole Family Edit
- Molly Mole - Peppa's friend.
- Mrs. Mole
- Mr. Mole
Peppa Pig, the Entertainment One (eOne) brand, grossed over £200 million in UK merchandise sales in 2010, doubling the 2009 figure of £100 million. According to NPD figures for 2010, Peppa Pig had become the number one pre-school property in the total toy market, moving up four places from its 2009 position. As of May 2018[update] Peppa Pig was stated to have over 1,000 licensees worldwide, and 80 in the US, up from 63 licensees in 2010.
Episode DVDs and a variety of licensed Peppa Pig products including video games and other toys such as playsets, playing cards, vehicles, and stuffed toys are sold. The range was expanded to include household items such as bathroom products, stationery, bed-linen, food, drink, clothing, and jewellery. A music album titled My First Album was released in July 2019.
- "Peppa Pig moved from Labour event". BBC News. 10 March 2015.
- "Peppa Pig | Official Site | Welcome to the grown ups site for Peppa Pig". Peppa Pig (en_US). Retrieved 2019-10-18.
- "Cartoon Network Launches Tickle U To Humor Preschoolers". Animation World Network. 22 August 2005. Archived from the original on 15 February 2017. Retrieved 23 May 2017.
- "Peppa Pig: a history". The Daily Telegraph. London. 29 March 2011. Archived from the original on 27 October 2022. Retrieved 9 September 2022.
- "Peppa Pig: On Track for U.S. Success". Licenseglobal.com. June 2011. Archived from the original on 4 June 2021. Retrieved 4 June 2021.
- Willmot, Mairaed (22 May 2018). "Entertainment One adds more partners for Peppa Pig". LTW.MEDIA. Archived from the original on 18 December 2021. Retrieved 21 July 2021.
- "Record-breaking year for Peppa Pig". LTW Magazine. 2010. Archived from the original on 17 June 2011.
- "Personalised Childrens Books". Penwizard. Archived from the original on October 26, 2015. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Piggy-Azalea: Peppa and Iggy's album feud plays out on Twitter". CTV News. 17 July 2019. Archived from the original on 26 August 2019. Retrieved 19 July 2019.