plant or animal detrimental to humans or human concerns
A pest is an animal which harms humans or human concerns. It is a loosely defined term; it overlaps with the terms vermin, weeds, parasites and pathogens. In its broadest sense, a pest is a competitor of humanity.
Top ten pestsEdit
According to BBC News Science & Environment, these are among the top ten pests of plants:  Fungi are prominent in their list, and it is more usual to call them pathogens.
- Desert locust Schistocerca gregaria
- Rubber blight Microcyclus ulei
- Corn root worm Diabrotica virgifera virgifera
- Potato blight Phytophthora infestans, an Oomycete
- Khapra beetle Trogoderma granarium
- Mountain pine beetle Dendroctonus ponderosae
- Wheat stem rust Puccinia graminis tritici
- Colorado beetle Leptinotarsa decemlineata
Serious beetle pestsEdit
- Emerald ash borer
- Boll weevil
- Maize weevil
- cotton weevil:
- ↑ Mirriam-Webster dictionary, 2010.
- ↑ "Pest - vermin". Encyclopedia Britannica.
- ↑ BBC News Science & Environment