This article has many issues. Please help fix them or discuss these issues on the talk page.
PlayStation 4 (also known by the abbreviated name PS4) is the fourth home video game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment and is compatible with the PlayStation 3. It was officially announced at a press conference on February 20, 2013 and launched on November 15, 2013. The PS4 console features many games including Minecraft, Just Cause 3, and Call of Duty, Fortnite Battle Royale, Ratchet & Clank, and Spider-Man 3. It doesn't support any audio streaming Bluetooth profile or Advance Audio Distribution Profile, that's why there are many Bluetooth devices which you can't connect to the PS4. It was first discontinued in Brazil on January 9, 2016 as the Xbox One was also discontinued.
|Developer||Sony Computer Entertainment|
|Manufacturer||Sony Computer Entertainment|
|Type||Video game console|
|Release date||Original Model:|
|Units sold||106 million (as of December 31, 2019)|
|Units shipped||113.6 million (as of September 30, 2020)|
|Media||Blu-ray Disc, DVD, USB Storage|
|Operating system||PlayStation 4 system software|
|Memory||8 GB GDDR5 (unified)|
|Storage||Hard drive, 500GB, 1TB (user upgradeable)|
Video output formats
|Graphics||Semi-custom AMD Radeon GPU (integrated into APU)|
|Controller input||DualShock 4, PlayStation Move, PlayStation Vita|
|Connectivity||802.11 b/g/n Wireless, Bluetooth 2.1, USB 3.0, Ethernet 10/100/1000|
|No native support|
Cloud support planned PlayStation 2 emulating
In 2016, Sony unveiled the PlayStation VR, a virtual reality headset add-on for the PlayStation 4. The PlayStation VR is not included in the pack if you buy a PS4 for yourself If you buy a PlayStation 4, it comes with a Mono Headset. If you have a PlayStation VR along with your PlayStation, it also has a PlayStation Camera to visualize what are you doing in the VR so it could be able to program the PS4 to move the player or any object in the game.
There are three different models of the PS4:
- PS4 (2013, first model): 1.84 TFLOPS, 8 GB GDDR5 RAM, 256 GB DDR3 RAM, 2 x USB 3.0, 500 GB storage, 399 €.
- PS4 Slim (2016, replaced PS4): Same technical specifications, smaller housing, more quiet and more energy efficient in operation, 500 GB or 1 TB storage, 249 € (500 GB model), 299 (1 TB model).
- PS4 Pro (2016, more powerful model): 4.198 TFLOPS, 8 GB GDDR5 RAM, 1 GB DDR3 RAM, more powerful GPU, higher clocked CPU, 3 x USB 3.1, 1 TB storage, 399 €.
- O'Brien, Terrence (20 August 2013). "PlayStation 4 hitting shelves on November 15th in the US for $399, November 29th in Europe". Engadget. AOL. Archived from the original on August 20, 2013. Retrieved 20 August 2013.
- Mohamed N Al Khan (September 26, 2013). "Games13: Let the video games begin". The National. Retrieved September 30, 2013.
- Leandre, Kenn (September 18, 2013). "PlayStation 4 Asia Launch Date Announced". IGN Asia. IGN Entertaintment, Inc. Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- Desai, Sameer (September 30, 2013). "Sony's PS4 preorder page for India is live, mentions 2013 release". MCV India. Retrieved September 30, 2013.
- Phillips, Tom (September 9, 2013). "PlayStation 4 won't launch in Japan until February 2014". Eurogamer. Eurogamer Network. Archived from the original on September 9, 2013. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- "The Next PlayStation is Called Orbis, Sources Say. Here are the Details". http://kotaku.com/. External link in
- "Orbis SCE DevNet". http://orbis.scedev.net/. Archived from the original on 2013-01-27. Retrieved 2013-02-05. External link in
- "Sony to show the 'future' Feb. 20, could it be the PlayStation 4?". http://www.techradar.com/. External link in
- "PS4 release date, news and rumours". http://www.techradar.com/. External link in
- "PS4 Pro vs PS4: Which PlayStation console is right for you". Trusted Reviews. 2019-08-10. Retrieved 2020-07-16.
- "PS4: Release, Spiele, Controller, Hardware, Features - Alle Infos zum Launch der PlayStation 4". PC GAMES (in German). 2013-11-13. Retrieved 2020-07-16.
- "AMD Playstation 4 Pro GPU Specs". TechPowerUp. Retrieved 2020-07-16.
- "PS4 Pro: Elf Fragen zur neuen Super-Konsole". computerbild.de (in German). Retrieved 2020-07-16.