Ross performing for the Mastermind Tour in June 2014
|Birth name||William Leonard Roberts II|
|Also known as|
|Born||January 28, 1976|
Clarksdale, Mississippi, U.S.
|Origin||Carol City, Florida, U.S.|
After releasing his debut single, Hustlin' in 2006, Ross became the subject of a bidding war, receiving offers from Diddy's Bad Boy Entertainment and Irv Gotti's Murder Inc., before signing a multi million dollar deal with Jay Z's Def Jam Records. Ross released his debut album Port Of Miami through the label later that year, debuting at the top spot on the U.S. Billboard 200 album chart, with sales of 187,000 units during the first week. Ross released his second studio album, Trilla in 2008, once again debuting atop the Billboard 200.
In 2009, Ross founded the record label Maybach Music Group, on which he released his studio albums Deeper Than Rap (2009), Teflon Don (2010), God Forgives, I Don't (2012), Mastermind, Hood Billionaire (2014), Black Market (2015), and Rather You Than Me (2017). Ross was also the first artist signed to Diddy's management company Ciroc Entertainment. In early 2012, MTV named Ross as the Hottest MC in the Game.
- Zisook, Brian (March 20, 2017). "Rick Ross on control of label artists". DJBooth.com. Retrieved August 4, 2018.
- "Jay-Z Gets Behind Rick Ross To Show He's 'Still In The Rap Business'". mtv.com.
- "Rick Ross". Spotify.
- Harris, Chris (August 16, 2006). "Rick Ross Sails Past Breaking Benjamin, Takes Port Of Miami To #1". MTV News. Archived from the original on May 16, 2008. Retrieved May 24, 2008.
- "Port of Miami – Charts & Awards". Allmusic. 2006.
- Reid, Shaheem (March 19, 2008). "Rick Ross On #1 Trilla Beating Out Snoop, Fat Joe: 'I Told Them We Bossin' Up'". MTV News. Archived from the original on April 24, 2008. Retrieved May 24, 2008.
- "Rick Ross: #1 Hottest MC in the Game". Rap Radar. February 19, 2012. Archived from the original on February 24, 2012. Retrieved March 30, 2012.