Ryan McCarthy (U.S. Army)
Ryan D. McCarthy is an American politician and military personnel. He was the 24th United States Secretary of the Army from July 23, 2019 to January 20, 2021.
|24th United States Secretary of the Army|
July 23, 2019 – January 20, 2021
|Deputy||James E. McPherson (acting)|
|Preceded by||Mark Esper|
Acting: June 24, 2019 – July 15, 2019
|Preceded by||Mark Esper|
|Succeeded by||Mark Esper*|
Acting: August 3, 2017 – November 20, 2017
|Preceded by||Robert M. Speer (acting)|
|Succeeded by||Mark Esper|
|United States Under Secretary of the Army|
August 3, 2017 – September 30, 2019
|Preceded by||Karl Schneider (acting)|
|Succeeded by||James E. McPherson (acting)*|
|Born||1973 or 1974 (age 46–47)|
|Education||Virginia Military Institute (BA)|
University of Maryland, College Park (MBA)
|Branch/service||United States Army|
|Years of service||1997–2002|
|Unit||75th Ranger Regiment|
|Battles/wars||War in Afghanistan|
|*McCarthy served in an acting capacity until Esper's formal nomination to be Secretary of Defense was submitted to the Senate. While McCarthy served as Acting Army Secretary, McPherson served as Acting Under Secretary.|
In June 2017, President Donald Trump nominated him to become the United States Under Secretary of the Army. He was confirmed as United States Under Secretary of the Army by the United States Senate on August 1, 2017, by voice vote.
From August 3 to November 20, 2017, he was acting secretary of the Army. From June 24, 2019 to July 15, 2019, while secretary of the Army Mark Esper was acting secretary of Defense, McCarthy became acting Secretary of the Army.
- Britzky, Haley (September 9, 2019). "This former Ranger was just nominated to be the next Secretary of the Army". Task & Purpose.
- Loyola Academy (August 3, 2017). "President Trump Nominates Ryan McCarthy '92 for Army Under Secretary". Loyola Academy. Retrieved September 30, 2017.
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces Key Additions to his Administration". The White House. June 6, 2017. Retrieved June 16, 2017.
- Dickstein, Corey (June 21, 2019). "Former Ranger McCarthy will take on duties of Army secretary on Monday". Stars and Stripes. Retrieved June 29, 2019.
By law, because there is currently a sitting secretary of the Army, [McCarthy] can only use the title, 'performing duties as' and not acting secretary of the Army
- Weisgerber, Marcus (July 15, 2019). "Inside the Pentagon's Game of Musical Chairs". Defense One. Retrieved July 16, 2019.
- Hope Hodge Seck Military.com (21 June 2019) Trump to Nominate Mark Esper as SecDef, Ryan McCarthy as Army Secretary
- "Senate confirms Ryan McCarthy as Army secretary". Stars and Stripes.