Scottish people are people native to Scotland or one who is descended from a native of Scotland. They almost all speak English, but some of those living in the Highlands and the islands may speak Gaelic, a Scottish Celtic language.
|c. 28–40 million worldwideA|
|Regions with significant populations|
|United StatesB||6,006,955 Scottish|
|Isle of Man||2,403|
|English (Scottish English)|
Scottish Gaelic • Scots
|Presbyterianism, Roman Catholicism, Protestantism, Episcopalianism; other minority groups; agnostics, deists and atheists.|
A These figures are estimates based on official
census data of populations and official surveys of
B Scottish Americans and Scotch-Irish Americans.
C Scottish Canadians.
D Scottish born people in England only
G Number of people born in Scotland.
Robert Burns is the national poet of Scotland.
- "The Scottish Diaspora and Diaspora Strategy: Insights and Lessons from Ireland". Scottish Government. May 2009. Retrieved 17 March 2015.
- "Statistical Bulletins - Scotland Census 2011". www.scotlandscensus.gov.uk.
- American Community Survey 2008 by the US Census Bureau Archived 2020-02-11 at Archive.today estimates 5,827,046 people claiming Scottish ancestry and 3,538,444 people claiming Scotch-Irish ancestry.
- "Who are the Scots-Irish?".
- The 2006 Canadian Census gives a total of 4,719,850 respondents stating their ethnic origin as Scottish. Many respondents may have misunderstood the question and the numerous responses for "Canadian" does not give an accurate figure for numerous groups, particularly those of British Isles origins.
- "ABS Ancestry". 2012.
- Northern Ireland#Demography
- "stats.govt.nz". Archived from the original on 2016-06-16. Retrieved 2015-08-20.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-03-05. Retrieved 2015-08-20.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- http://www.gov.scot/Resource/Doc/285746/0087034.pdf#Page=13 http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2009/09/24095045/3
- "Friends Of Scotland".
- The Ancestral Scotland website states the following: "Scotland is a land of 5.1 million people. A proud people, passionate about their country and her rich, noble heritage. For every single Scot in their native land, there are thought to be at least five more overseas who can claim Scottish ancestry; that's many millions spread throughout the globe."
- "History, Tradition and roots, ancestry". Archived from the original on 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2015-08-20.
- "Visit Scotland.org". Archived from the original on 2007-12-21. Retrieved 2015-08-20.
- Scottish ancestry at visitscotland.com