Suleiman the Magnificent
Suleiman I  (6 November 1453 – 5/6 September 1566), was the tenth Sultan of the Ottoman Empire. He became sultan when he was 26 years old. He reigned for 46 years, from 1520 to 1566, which was longer than any other Ottoman sultan. He is known in the West as Suleiman the Magnificent and in the Islamic world, as the Lawgiver (in Turkish Kanuni; Arabic: القانونى, al‐Qānūnī), because he reconstructed the Ottoman legal system. He also led many wars in Europe, including wars in Hungary, the Mediterranean, and parts of North Africa.
|Suleiman the Magnificent|
|Sultan of the Ottoman Empire|
Suleiman I attributed to Titian c.1530
|Reign||1520–1566 (46 years)|
|Heir Apparent||Selim II|
|Born||November 6, 1494|
|Died||September 7, 1566 (aged 71)|
|House||House of Osman|
- "1548-49". The Encyclopedia of World History. 2001. Retrieved 2007-04-18.
- "1553-55". The Encyclopedia of World History. 2001. Retrieved 2007-04-18.
- "A 400 Year Old Love Poem". Women in World History Curriculum Showcase. Retrieved 2007-04-18.
- Embree, Mark (2004). "Suleiman The Magnificent". Retrieved 2007-04-18.
- Halman, Talat (1988). "Suleyman the Magnificent Poet". Archived from the original on 2006-03-09. Retrieved 2007-04-18.
- "The History of Malta". 2007. Retrieved 2007-04-27.
- Hope, Maggie. "Suleiman The Magnificent". Retrieved 2007-04-18.
- "Muhibbî (Kanunî Sultan Süleyman)". Türkçe Bilgi—Kim kimdir? (in Turkish). Retrieved 2008-01-13.
- Russell, John (2007-01-26). "The Age of Sultan Suleyman". New York Times. Retrieved 2007-08-09. Check date values in:
- Bridge, Anthony (1983). Suleiman the Magnificent, Scourge of Heaven. New York: F. Watts. OCLC 9853956.
- Downey, Fairfax Davis. The Grand Turke, Suleyman the Magnificent, sultan of the Ottomans. New York: Minton, Balch & Company. OCLC 25776191.
- Hooker, Richard. "The Ottomans: Suleyman". Retrieved 2007-09-02.
- Lybyer, Albert Howe (1913). The government of the Ottoman empire in the time of Suleiman the Magnificent. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University Press. OCLC 1562148.