Super Bowl XLVIII
Super Bowl XLVIII (meaning Super Bowl 48 in Roman numerals) was an American football game in which the Seattle Seahawks, winners of the National Football Conference (NFC) for the 2013 season, beat the Denver Broncos, winners of the American Football Conference (AFC), 43–8 to become winners of the National Football League (NFL) for the 2013 season. It was the first time the Seattle Seahawks had won a Super Bowl. It was played at the MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey on February 2, 2014.
|Date||February 2, 2014|
|Stadium||MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, New Jersey|
|MVP||Malcolm Smith, linebacker|
|Favorite||Broncos by 2|
|Current/Future Hall of Famers|
|Seahawks: none |
Broncos: Pat Bowlen (owner), Champ Bailey
|National anthem||Renée Fleming|
|Coin toss||Joe Namath, Phil Simms|
|Halftime show||Bruno Mars and Red Hot Chili Peppers|
|TV in the United States|
|Announcers||Joe Buck (play-by-play)|
Troy Aikman (analyst)
Pam Oliver and Erin Andrews (sideline reporters)
|Nielsen ratings||46.4 (national)|
50.5 (New York)
US viewership: 117.5 million est. avg., 167 million est. total[source?]
|Market share||69 (national)|
|Cost of 30-second commercial||$4 million|
|Hall of Fame‡|
|Seattle Seahawks||Position||Position||Denver Broncos|
|Doug Baldwin||WR||Demaryius Thomas|
|Russell Okung||LT||Chris Clark|
|James Carpenter||LG||Zane Beadles|
|Max Unger||C||Manny Ramirez|
|J. R. Sweezy||RG||Louis Vasquez|
|Breno Giacomini||RT||Orlando Franklin|
|Alvin Bailey||T||TE||Julius Thomas|
|Zach Miller||TE||WR||Eric Decker|
|Golden Tate||WR||Wes Welker|
|Russell Wilson||QB||Peyton Manning|
|Marshawn Lynch||RB||Knowshon Moreno|
|Cliff Avril||LDE||Malik Jackson|
|Michael Bennett||LDT||DT||Sylvester Williams|
|Clinton McDonald||RDT||NT||Terrance Knighton|
|Chris Clemons||RDE||Shaun Phillips|
|K. J. Wright||OLB||SLB||Nate Irving|
|Bobby Wagner||MLB||Paris Lenon|
|Walter Thurmond||CB||WLB||Danny Trevathan|
|Richard Sherman||LCB||Champ Bailey‡|
|Kam Chancellor||SS||Duke Ihenacho|
|Earl Thomas||FS||Mike Adams|
- Patra, Kevin (February 2, 2014). "Seahawks' Malcolm Smith wins Super Bowl XLVIII MVP". National Football League. Retrieved December 8, 2016.
- Burke, Chris (January 21, 2014). "Super Bowl XLVIII odds: Denver Broncos favorite over Seattle Seahawks". Sports Illustrated. Archived from the original on February 3, 2014. Retrieved January 30, 2014.
- Brinson, Will (January 15, 2014). "NFL names Terry McAulay referee for Super Bowl XLVIII". CBS Sports. Retrieved January 19, 2014.
- "Super Bowl Winners". National Football League. Archived from the original on January 1, 2016. Retrieved December 8, 2016.
- Jorgensen, Jack (February 2, 2014). "Super Bowl 48: Official attendance announced as 82, 529". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved February 3, 2014.
- "Renee Fleming to sing National Anthem at Super Bowl XLVIII". National Football League. January 21, 2014. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- "Super Bowl 48 Local Ratings: Seattle Up, Denver Down, K.C. Leads". Sports Media Watch. February 3, 2014. Retrieved February 4, 2014.
- "Super Bowl XLVIII most-watched TV program in U.S. history". National Football League. February 3, 2014. Retrieved February 3, 2014.
- Horovitz, Bruce (September 3, 2013). "Super Bowl ad fever hits early this year". USA Today. Retrieved September 4, 2013.
- "Super Bowl XLVIII–National Football League Game Summary" (PDF). National Football League. February 2, 2014. Retrieved February 3, 2014.