|President-elect of Brazil|
Never sworn in[a]
|Vice President||José Sarney|
|Preceded by||João Figueiredo|
|Succeeded by||José Sarney|
|Prime Minister of the United States of Brazil|
September 8, 1961 – July 12, 1962
|Preceded by||Position re-established|
|Succeeded by||Brochado da Rocha|
|Governor of Minas Gerais|
March 15, 1983 – August 14, 1984
|Vice Governor||Hélio Garcia|
|Preceded by||Francelino Pereira|
|Succeeded by||Hélio Garcia|
|Senator for Minas Gerais|
February 1, 1979 – March 14, 1983
|Federal Deputy from Minas Gerais|
February 1, 1963 – February 1, 1979
February 1, 1951 – February 1, 1955
|Minister of Finance|
March 23, 1962 – May 9, 1962
|Preceded by||Walter Moreira Salles|
|Succeeded by||Walter Moreira Salles|
|Minister of Justice and Interior Affairs|
September 8, 1961 – October 12, 1961
|Preceded by||José Martins Rodrigues|
|Succeeded by||Alfredo Nasser|
June 26, 1953 – August 24, 1954
|Preceded by||Negrão de Lima|
|Succeeded by||Miguel Seabra Fagundes|
Tancredo de Almeida Neves
March 4, 1910
São João del-Rei, Minas Gerais, Brazil
|Died||April 21, 1985 (aged 75)|
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
|Spouse(s)||Risoleta Guimarães Tolentino|
|Alma mater||UFMG School of Law|
He was elected President of Brazil in 1985, but died before he took office.
Neves was supposed to be inaugurated as the Brazilian president on 15 March 1985, however the day before he died of diverticulitis at a São Paulo hospital, aged 75. It was also reported Neves had stomach cancer, but his diagnosis was kept secret.
- On March 14, 1985, on the eve of his inauguration, Tancredo had to be hospitalized for an emergency intestinal surgery, and he remained hospitalized until his death on April 21, 1985. From March 15, 1985, Vice President José Sarney carried out presidential duties on an interim basis. He is, by law 7,645 of April 21, 1986, "for all legal purposes, considered among those anointed by the Brazilian nation to the supreme magistracy."
- "A verdade sobre a morte de Tancredo Neves". Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- "O fator câncer". Istoé Independente. Archived from the original on March 5, 2014. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- "Agonia e morte de Tancredo Neves". Observatório da Imprensa. Archived from the original on March 5, 2014. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- "TANCREDO TEVE UM TUMOR BENIGNO; OPERADO DE NOVO, ESTADO É GRAVE". Folha da Manhã. Retrieved March 20, 2014.