The Proud Family
|The Proud Family|
|Created by||Bruce W. Smith|
|Voices of||Kyla Pratt|
Paula Jai Parker
Jo Marie Payton
|Opening theme||"Here Comes Penny Proud" by Solange Knowles feat. Destiny's Child|
|Country of origin|| Canada|
Germany (Season 3)
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||89 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||22 minutes|
Disney Television Animation (Poilt Only)
TMO -Loonland Film GMBH (Season 3)
|Distributor||Cookie Jar Group|
Family Channel (Canada)
Disney XD (United States)
|Audio format||Dolby Surround (2001-2002)|
Dolby Digital 5.1 (2003-2005)
|Original release||January 21, 2001 –|
October 30, 2006
The Proud Family was created by Bruce W. Smith. It was produced by CINAR. It was originally scripted for Disney However, Disney Channel took it and began airing in January 2001. Some of the episodes in later seasons were produced using Adobe Flash.
The show became the first Disney animated show which did not premiere on a network/over-the-air television. This had been done since 1985 when the Wildbrain Studios unit was started.
- Kyla Pratt - Penny Proud. Penny is the main protagonist of the show. She is 14 years old. She is usually embarrassed by the way her father, Oscar, acts. She likes hanging out with her friends. However, they have gotten her into trouble. She obeys her parents. She also gets into bad situations because of peer pressure. Penny is a feminist and a talented singer. She does well in school and often gets straight A's. She is on the football team and part of the newspaper staff at her school.
- Tommy Davidson - Oscar Proud. Oscar is very protective of his daughter Penny and his other children. He is the son of Suga Mama. Oscar is hyperactive and immature. However, he is very smart. Oscar owns his own snack food business called Proud Snacks. The flavors he chose are not popular.
- Paula Jai Parker - Trudy Proud (née Parker). Trudy is a veterinarian. She is the mother of Penny, BeBe and CeCe. She comes from a wealthy family. Her father is a doctor and her sister Diana is a famous actress. She gives Penny advice. Trudy is married to Oscar.
- Jo Marie Payton - Suga Mama Proud. Suga Mama is the grandmother of Penny, Bebe and CeCe. She is "hip" and loves wrestling. She is the mother of Oscar and Bobby. She is the mother-in-law of Trudy. She is very nice but sassy. She is known for teasing Oscar, who she often beats up. However, she loves him and does not show it all the time.
Other voice actorsEdit
- Karen Malina White - Dijonay Jones
- Soleil Moon Frye - Zoey Howzer
- Alisa Reyes - LaCienega Boulevardez
- Orlando Brown - Sticky Webb
- Cedric the Entertainer - Bobby Proud
- Phil LaMarr - Michael Collins
- Raquel Lee - Nubia Gross
- Kevin Michael Richardson - Dr. Payne / Omar
- Cree Summer - Peabo
- Aries Spears - Wizard Kelly
- Smart Baby/Red-Nosed Baby (voiced by Ron Glass)
- Carlos Mencia - Felix Boulevardez
- María Canals - Sunset Boulevardez
- Alvaro Gutierrez - Papi Boulevardez
- Aries Spears - Lil' Wiz
Notable guest starsEdit
- Al Roker — A Faustian man who grants wishes at a horrible price.
- Angel Joseph (Samuel L. Jackson) - A homeless man who was formerly a construction worker.
- Angel Margaret (Vivica A. Fox) - Joseph's wife.
- Angel Stephanie (Raven-Symoné) - Joseph and Margaret's daughter.
- Randi (Ashanti) - Wizingdale's Department manager.
- Boonnetta Proud (Mo'Nique) — Oscar's crazy cousin.
- Carlos (Kel Mitchell) - Asks Penny on a date.
- Chanel Parker (Solange Knowles) - Trudy's niece.
- Chester the Duck (Frank Welker) — A duck Penny found.
- The Credit Card (Steve Harvey) - Penny's credit card.
- Debra Williams (Vanessa L. Williams) — Friend of Oscar and Trudy (the latter's college roommate) and the woman in the Thingy costume.
- Diana Parker (Sheryl Lee Ralph) — Trudy's sister who is a Broadway star.
- "Fifteen (15) Cent" (Omarion) — A young rapper with a crush on Penny. He is a loose parody of 50 Cent.
- Garrett Krebs (Ving Rhames) - The antagonist of the Halloween episode "A Hero for Halloween".
- Johnny McBride (Shia LaBeouf) - A classmate in Penny's algebra class; an obnoxious paraplegic who has a crush on Penny.
- Leslie Parker (Wendy Raquel Robinson) — Trudy's sister-in-law.
- Lisa Raye (LisaRaye McCoy) — A dance instructor for 15 Cent's video.
- Lou Rawls (Lou Rawls) - Voices himself in Penny's dream sequence and singing "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine".
- Mariah Carey — Trudy's client.
- Mrs. Maureen Parker (Cicely Tyson) — Trudy's mother.
- Mega (Ray J) — A boy who runs a website where kids download songs for free.
- Ray Ray Proud, Sr. (Anthony Anderson) — Oscar's crazy cousin.
- Ray Ray Proud, Jr. (Jamal Mixon) — the son of Ray Ray Proud, Sr.
- Reuben Parker (David Alan Grier) — Trudy's rich brother.
- Sista Spice (Jenifer Lewis) — Suga Mama's sister.
- Sunny Stevens/Iesha (Gabrielle Union) - The teen star of Penny and her friends' favorite show, Iesha.
- Teen Bebe and Cece (Lee Thompson Young and Sicily Sewell) - The teen forms of Bebe and Cece who appear when Penny wishes that they were older so she doesn't have to babysit them.
- Dr. Vincent Parker (Robert Guillaume) — Trudy's father.
- Juicy's Spoken Word Contest Host (Mos Def)
Awards and nominationsEdit
- 2004 - Outstanding Character Design in an Animated Television Production - Shannon Tindle
for episode "Culture Shock" (Nominated)
- 2003 - Outstanding Achievement in an Animated Television Production Produced for Children (Nominated)
- 2003 - Outstanding Character Design in an Animated Television Production - Shannon Tindle
for episode "Forbidden Date" (Nominated)
- 2003 - Outstanding Directing in an Animated Television Production - Bruce W. Smith for episode "A Hero For Halloween" (Nominated)
- 2003 - Outstanding Writing in an Animated Television Production - James E. West II & T. Smith III for episode "I Had A Dream" (Nominated)
- 2004 - Outstanding Animated Series (Won)
- 2003 - Best Casting for Animated Voice Over, Television - Eileen Mack Knight (Won)
- 2002 - Best Casting for Animated Voice Over, Television - Eileen Mack Knight (Won)
- 2005 - Outstanding Performance in a Youth/Children's Series/Special - Tommy Davidson (Nominated)
- 2005 - Outstanding Performance in a Youth/Children's Series/Special - JoMarie Payton (Nominated)
- 2005 - Outstanding Performance in a Youth/Children's Series/Special' - Kyla Pratt (Nominated)
- 2004 - Outstanding Performance in a Youth/Children's Series/Special - Tommy Davidson (Nominated)
- 2004 - Outstanding Performance in a Youth/Children's Series/Special' - Kyla Pratt (Nominated)
- 2003 - Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series - Cedric the Entertainer (Won)
- 2003 - Outstanding Performance in a Youth/Children's Series/Special - Tommy Davidson (Nominated)
- 2003 - Outstanding Performance in a Youth/Children's Series/Special - JoMarie Payton (Nominated)
- 2003 - Outstanding Performance in a Youth/Children's Series/Special' - Kyla Pratt (Nominated)
- 2003 - Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series - Ving Rhames (Nominated)
- 2002 - Outstanding Performance in a Youth or Children's Series/Special - Tommy Davidson (Nominated)
- 2002 - Outstanding Youth or Children's Series/Special (Nominated)
- 2004 - Favorite Cartoon (Nominated)
- NAMIC Vision Awards
- 2005 - Children's (Won)
- 2005 - 'Best Comedic Performance - JoMarie Payton (Nominated)
- 2004 - Best Comedic Performance - JoMarie Payton (Nominated)
- 2004 - Best Comedic Performance - Paula Jai Parker (Nominated)
- 2004 - Outstanding Children's Programming (Nominated)