United States Board on Geographic Names
The United States Board on Geographic Names (BGN) is a United States federal body whose purpose is to establish and maintain uniform usage of geographic names throughout the government of the United States.
The Geographic Names Information System includes topographic map names and bibliographic references. The names of books and historic maps which confirm the feature or place name are cited. Variant names, alternatives to official federal names for a feature, are also recorded.
Related pages change
- BGN is an acronym. BGN stands for Board on Geographic Names".
- US Board on Geographic Names (BGN), "BGN Home" retrieved 2012-6-18.
- Dalrymple, Helen. "What's in a Name?". Library of Congress. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- "U.S. Board on Geographic Names". National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency. Archived from the original on 2 October 2015. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- BGN, "Domestic names"; retrieved 2012-6-18.
- BGN, "Foreign names"; retrieved 2012-6-18.
- BGN, "Antarctic names"; retrieved 2012-6-18.
- BGN, 'Undersea features"; retrieved 2012-6-18.