Valerie Harper (August 22, 1939 – August 30, 2019) was an American movie and television actress. She was best known for playing Rhoda Morgenstern on The Mary Tyler Moore Show and starring in the sitcom Valerie. She also did stage acting. She began her career as a dancer and chorus girl on Broadway in the late 1950s and early 1960s.
Harper at a 2007 SAG Foundation brunch
|Born||August 22, 1939|
Suffern, New York, U.S.
|Died||August 30, 2019 (aged 80)|
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Richard Schaal (1964-1978)|
Tony Cacciotti (1987-2019)
On March 11, 2013, Harper announced that she had an incurable brain tumor. Doctors said that she had less than three months to live.  Although the disease is incurable, her doctors said they were treating her with chemotherapy in an effort to slow its progress. On July 30, 2015, Harper was hospitalized in Maine after falling unconscious. Later on the 30th she was taken via medevac to a larger hospital for further treatment. She was later released.
- Archive of American Television oral history, February 26, 2009
- Dodd, Johnny; Tauber, Michelle (March 6, 2013). "Valerie Harper's Rare Cancer Explained". People. Retrieved March 7, 2013.
- Daley, Megan (July 30, 2015). "Valerie Harper's hospitalization prior to a Maine performance a 'precaution,' says the theater". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved July 30, 2015.
- "Valerie Harper In a Coma, Sources Say". Entertainment Weekly.com. July 30, 2015. Retrieved July 30, 2015.
- "Valerie Harper released from hospital". USA TODAY.
- "Valerie Harper not in coma, looking forward to returning to Ogunquit Playhouse".
- Saperstein, Pat. "Valerie Harper, Rhoda on ‘Mary Tyler Moore Show,’ Dies at 80" Variety, August 30, 2019
- Blair, Elizabeth (August 30, 2019). "Valerie Harper, Who Played Beloved TV Sidekick Rhoda, Dies At 80". NPR. Retrieved August 30, 2019.
Media related to Valerie Harper at Wikimedia Commons