Vivek Hallegere Murthy (born July 10, 1977) is an American physician and a vice admiral in the Public Health Service Commissioned Corps. Murthy is the 21st and current Surgeon General of the United States since 2021 during the Joe Biden presidency. Before, he served as the 19th Surgeon General from 2014 through 2017 during the Barack Obama presidency.
|19th and 21st Surgeon General of the United States|
|Assumed office |
March 25, 2021
|Preceded by||Jerome Adams|
December 18, 2014 – April 21, 2017
|Preceded by||Boris Lushniak (acting)|
|Succeeded by||Jerome Adams|
|Co-Chair of the COVID-19 Advisory Board|
November 9, 2020 – January 20, 2021
|Preceded by||Office established|
|Succeeded by||Office abolished|
Vivek Hallegere Murthy
July 10, 1977
Huddersfield, England, UK
Alice Chen (m. 2015)
|Education||Harvard University (BA)|
Yale University (MD, MBA)
|Branch/service||United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps|
|Years of service||2014—2017|
Murthy, founder of nonprofit Doctors for Obama, replaced Boris Lushniak, who had been Acting Surgeon General since 2013. Murthy was the first Surgeon General of Indian descent and was the youngest active duty flag officer in federal uniformed service.
On November 9, 2020, then President-elect of the United States Joe Biden announced that Murthy would co-chair his COVID-19 Advisory Board, alongside former U.S. Food and Drug Administration commissioner David A. Kessler and Yale public health professor Marcella Nunez-Smith. On December 3, Politico reported that Murthy would return to the role of Surgeon General in the Biden administration. His nomination was confirmed by the United States Senate on March 23, 2021 with a 57-43 vote.
- Clark, Charles S. (December 23, 2014). "Health Service Marks Banner Year Without a Surgeon General". Government Executive. National Journal Group. Retrieved January 19, 2015.
- "Surgeon general dismissed, replaced by Trump administration". USA TODAY. Retrieved 2017-04-22.
- "Biden-Harris Transition Announces COVID-19 Advisory Board". President-Elect Joe Biden. 2020-11-09. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- Alice Miranda Ollstein; Tyler Pager (2020-12-03). "Zients, Murthy tapped to head up Biden's Covid-19 response". Politico. Retrieved 2020-12-03.
- "Senate confirms Dr. Vivek Murthy as US surgeon general". CNN. March 23, 2021.
- Media related to Vivek Murthy at Wikimedia Commons
| Surgeon General of the United States